1. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

redface Re: League of Legends LXVIII: "MY PICK'EMS!" Part II: Who Didn't Get Out of Groups?

Quote Originally Posted by EternalMelon View Post
    Fair enough, although I must add that Riot has said they changed Urgot so they can do more with him in their lore. Something like "New Urgot has a purpose to work for, old Urgot was someone who had things happen to him." Riot is trying to make characters with wide design spaces, both in and out of game. Look at how long it took Zaq to get a skin because of model difficulties. This (and lore)is probably responsible for Warwick tubes and Gangplanks* Robo-arm (which is only present in 2 skins iirc).

And in general you seem to value "Character in a costume" skins more than "Character if they were an X", but maybe I'm just projecting, because you didn't say you liked any of the early Panth skins. And as for Zoe/Poppy, you seem to value manly, warrior dudes than waify cloudcuckoo landers. Which is fine, because Riot attempts to create champions (and skins) for a wide variety of play-styles and aesthetics.

*is it weird to anyone else to type out full names like Gangplank and Warwick instead of GP and WW? So used to abbreviating for brevity.
    Well here's the thing. Riot's lore is ****. The Targon lore is the worst offender, but really, it's mediocre by fantasy standards, and those are low standards. At least until I stopped reading.

I don't care whether or not Urgot now has a purpose in the lore. I haven't read the new one, and I have no intention to. The suicidal depressed half living monstrosity that just wanted something to kill it, was far more interesting as a concept than some murdering ******* spouting bad interpretations of Nietzsche.

Does Riot really create champions skins from a wide play style? Maybe they do and I am just blinded by what I like and don't. But the last new champion I was remotely interested in was Darius. And he was from what? 2012? None of the currently popular skin lines interest me. Star Guardians being the most clearly vapid and uninteresting. But everything from Project to Pool Party isn't worth spending my money on. I don't value the characters in costumes or alternate character interpretations, because I no longer value the characters at all.

What I like is warriors, normal people, grotesques, and history. They've mostly stopped making them. Closest recently is Jhin, I think. And I don't think anyone really considers him a normal person. Whenever they update a grotesque like Yorick or Urgot they tone down the actual repulsion and try to make them "cool." When talking about the future Pantheon update they've mentioned they want to move away from being just a Spartan, when that was literally what drew me to him (and the game) in the first place. And the only skins I have ever really been interested in buying, were some odd promotions that were never actually sold.

So, yeah, haven't exactly been happy with Riot's decisions over the last few years. But, I'm sure everyone on this board is tired of me bitching about it, by now. I'll keep playing until Pantheon gets turned into a body hoping space parasite, with glowing starry effects and all that other rubbish. Then I'll go.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2017-11-08 at 02:19 AM.