I've been away for a week and just catching up.

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
I remember reading references to similar studies that found some percentage of soldiers would actively seek out engagements--i.e. some percentage (20 or 30%) would fight to kill the enemy, most of the rest would fight to not get hurt. "Killers" and "fillers" were I believe the terms, in case that rings a bell for anyone else regarding what I might have been looking at.
It can also depend on the service doctrine. I know during recent conflicts, US Army protocol to a convoy ambush was to break through and get clear, while the USMC standard response was to dismount and go kill the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
What about a wooden practice sword (like the solid ones used for kendo training)?
There's two types of blunt training weapons used in kendo - shinai (made of bamboo) and bokken (made of wood). From experience, shinai hurt less - there's isn't that much difference between a solid piece of wood carved into a sword shape compared to a solid piece of wood shaped like a staff as both can be lethal when used appropriately.