Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
So today I decided to start going over broken spells and attempt fixes for them, so I will post them as I find them:
Banned Spells
These spells are beyond redemption IMO.
  • Limited Wish, Wish, Miracle
  • Polymorph Line (or use PF version)
  • Consumptive Field (Lesser/Greater)
  • Celerity Line
  • Shivering Touch (Frostburn)
  • Time stop
  • Maw of Chaos (SpC)
  • Ray of stupidity (SpC)
  • Stunning Ray (SpC)

The Spells
Glibness: +30? (Here's where someone drops a link ). Reduced to 1/2 CL, in games not allowing for CL increasing shenanigans I think it would be alright to say CL.

Arcane Lock: Increases the DC to open a lock by 1/2 CL.

Knock: Gives a bonus on Open Lock checks equal to 1/2 CL, lasting 1 minute/level.

Divine Power: Only the war domain gets this.

Haste: Gives one partial action (move/swift/standard) a round. Yes this helps casters as well, but as it was casters already could and melee did not get anything.

Summons: Summoned creatures can not use any spells, SLA's, or supernatural abilities they may possess. (Courtesy of noob)

Planar Binding Spells: I was going to ban, but how about this: every 30 minutes there is a 100-CL% chance the creature escapes any bindings? Feel it makes the spells useless though...

Freedom of Movement: You add 1/2 your caster level to any effect that would impede movement, and in natural settings and regular rough terrain you may move normally. In addition you add 1/2 your level to escape artist and grapple checks to resist a grapple attempt.

Windwall: Kind of stuck on this one... maybe normal effects but ranged weapon attacks instead have a 50-enemies BAB% chance to miss?

Teleport/Planeshift
Spoiler
Show

Find Traps: Spells don't like rogues do they? Replace this with an insight bonus equal to 1/2 CL (possibly 1/4 with CL boosting effects?) on search checks... and rename it Eagle eye while your at it.

Wall of Iron: there is a 100-CL% chance that the iron of the wall is not forge quality.

That's it for now, however I'll be updating this later.
I guess I need to ask 'why' for a sizeable amount of these

I feel most of the shenanigans from these spells can be put to a stop just by telling players to not be jerks.

and what has maw of chaos ever done? oh it does some minor damage and makesit harder o cast spells?

plus the whole you are allowing planar binding/ally and banning less abuseable spells which literally say 'ask the DM, yo'

your changing glibness, but keeping true strike the same? that's not cool

Divine power should not even be on the cleric's spell list. it should be a paladin spells IMO, but that is just my preference. my changes made it a paladin 2 gave 1 temp HP per level +6 to Str and Con and a +2 divine bonus to attacks, saves, and AC