1. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Running and Playing Dark Fantasy Campaigns

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    A specific question to all of you: What are your thoughts on approaching magic in a Dark Fantasy context?

I believe there's a general consensus that mages shouldn't be straightforward magical artillery raining fire and lightning upon hordes of enemies. But beyond that? Many people like magic to be somewhat insidious in nature, but how could this look in practice?
    I rather like the way magic works in Glen Cook's Black Company novels. Learning a mage's true name, and speaking it to them, strips them of their power, making their name the most guarded secret they have. They don't really have set spell lists...they build spells for the occasion on the spot rather than casting spell number 237B, and it can take centuries for a mage to get really, really powerful. Green Ronin did a D20 setting for the Black Company, and then later a splat for just the magic system called True Sorcery.
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2017-11-16 at 01:19 AM.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."