Quote Originally Posted by drafghast View Post
Based on the low values and the slower scaling, we don't currently feel there are any significant math issues with these customizations at this time, even though they _do_ stack with Personal Upgrades.
As for the design goal - I wanted to both reflect in some of the more quintessential customizations from Pathfinder, as well as display the ways that an astral suit can help enhance the basic aspects of the physical form.
I do have some understanding of how central these customizations are in Pathfinder, where getting that enhancement bonus is a vital part of your character's progression. And in principle, I'm leery of breaking the functional hardcap of 28 for ability scores but not completely opposed to it. As it stands, though, the Aegis has much more going for it than just that, and the extra accuracy that +2 or +4 provides just pushes it even further.

Unless I've very critically misread several things, the Aegis is currently the most accurate and damaging melee combatant in the game with just Brawn and Improved Damage. It holds that title at range as well until about level 13, and still puts in a very strong showing to compete for it. This is without accounting for the bonuses the modes give, or the extra damage that I've seen skimming over the Chassis options.

Compare to the Soldier. Full BAB, most of the same proficiencies, similar role as a dedicated combatant. In melee, the Soldier gets no unique accuracy bonuses, and unless you're a level 17+ Blitz Soldier gets only Melee Striker for extra damage for most weapons. The Aegis gets +1 to +2 attack from Brawn. For damage, it gets an extra +1 or +2 from Brawn, plus Improved Damage. Let's compare Improved Damage to the bonus a Soldier with maximum achievable strength per level gets from Melee Striker; since we're assuming dedicated melee fighters, they're both using advanced melee weapons to determine Improved Damage's bonus. They're both proficient, and the weapons are clearly stronger, so there's no reason not to for the baseline.

Spoiler: It's not in the Soldier's favor.
Show
Level Melee Striker Improved Damage
2 N/A +2
3 +2 +4
4 +2 +4
5 +2 +4
6 +2 +6
7 +3 +6
8 +3 +6
9 +3 +8
10 +3 +8
11 +3 +8
12 +3 +10
13 +3 +10
14 +4 +10
15 +4 +12
16 +4 +12
17 +4 +12
18 +4 +14
19 +4 +14
20 +4 +14

That's concerning.

The melee Aegis can be more accurate or damaging at level 2 than the Soldier. At level 4, the Aegis does not have to choose. Several levels later, the Aegis is not even sacrificing that much utility space for its customizations to have both.

At range, Soldiers get +1 attack if and only if they use Laser weapons. They get +1-6 damage with kinetic weapons, and Sharpshooters get +2d6 for every shot against the first target in a full attack once they reach level 13. The Aegis gets the exact same bonuses to accuracy and damage at range as it does in melee. The Soldier does have a slight edge with access to heavy weapons, so I'll include the advantage a reaction cannon has over equivalent projectile rifles this time.

Spoiler: Still lopsided.
Show
Level Bullet Barrage + Focused Damage Heavy Weapon Advantage Improved Damage
2 - 1 +2
3 +2 1 +4
4 +2 1 +4
5 +2 1 +4
6 +2 1 +6
7 +2 2 +6
8 +3 2 +6
9 +3 2 +8
10 +3 3 +8
11 +3 3 +8
12 +4 3 +10
13 +11 3 +10
14 +11 6 +10
15 +11 6 +12
16 +12 6 +12
17 +12 3.5 +12
18 +12 3.5 +14
19 +12 3.5 +14
20 +13 12 +14

That's also concerning.

The Aegis again has higher accuracy, and has higher damage until level 11. Even then, the Soldier's damage is limited to a single target when making a full attack; in all other situations, they lose 7 damage and fall behind the Aegis again until they get to level 20 weapons. And this is assuming they use a specific weapon - the reaction cannon - to maximize their raw damage. The reaction cannon is very impressive, but far from perfect.

The Aegis has overall better accuracy and damage than the Soldier and by extension everyone else, and they also have greater mobility than the Soldier. They also have more money since they can ignore buying armor or mobility enhancements like jetpacks. And again, this is not even considering everything the class grants you; I still haven't really looked at the modes, and just skimming over the Chassis options I'm seeing even more ways to boost damage.

Perhaps these numbers would be more consistent with the rest of the system in Pathfinder? Because it feels like you may be trying to take numbers that would work there and use them here instead, and it isn't quite working out nicely. Of course, that's the entire point of showing things this early on. You've got good ideas, but I don't think you're quite working in sync with Starfinder yet. Still, I'll be very happy when the Aegis gets there.