1. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: Changing the "Caster beats Mundane" paradigm

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    How exactly am I "spitting on" it?
    From that exact same post :
    OK, so your divergence in physical laws is "metabolisms work differently or something". What other effects does that have on the setting, if you make that change in order to allow for your new human peak, and dragons flying? And how does that metabolism "upgrade" affect the rest of the humans in your setting?
    You are demanding a lot of worldbuilding work to justify the header of the Fighter class. You would have ignored it if someone put the word "chi" in it.
    Making the gap significantly larger "because training" falls squarely under the "we're just doing whatever sounds awesome, it doesn't have to make sense" option.
    You are asserting that the concept doesn't make sense without providing an argument for your point. I'm pretty sure you can find lots of settings were it just can't work (such as the real world), but those are setting specific issues.
    There are limits to what real-world human muscle and bone can do. Humans in the real world can't power lift ten tons because the human body cannot be "trained" to that point. The parts of the human body are made of things with actual physical limits that can't be trained away. Bones made of calcium have a breaking point. Muscle fibers aren't infinite in their strength. The body gives out long before getting that ten tons lifted.
    You are raising an objection that have already been waived by the base assumption. It is already established that humans can grow stronger than their real world counterpart in the considered setting.
    So if your fictional world humans can at their peak lift ten tons overheard, then either calcium, carbon, etc, form materials of far greater strength... or humans are made of different things than they are in this world. And in either case, your "peak humans" have dragged your "average humans" along and shifted what they can do.
    You are imagining a nonsensical issue. No, I'm not faster at running since Usain Bolt broke the world record.
    Now, if you really want the gap to be very big, then the alternative (as repeatedly offered) is that your "top .001%" are tapping into the same forces that the spellcasters are, just in a different way. They're using "magic", even unconsciously, to push their bodies past the normal limits. Done -- you get people leaping over walls and crushing boulders with punches, and your everyday laborers and peasants still need animals for heavy work, and footsoldiers aren't leaping over castle walls.
    And you reasserts that the core concept is invalid and must be replaced by Sorcerer variants.

That's pretty much spitting on it.

The issue isn't having spells, the issue is what those spells can do vs what other ways of doing things can do.

You can reduce the power of the spells, increase the power of other ways of doing things, or accept the caster vs non-caster gap.
    How does that adress my point you quoted?

Quote Originally Posted by lesser_minion View Post
    You enable new character concepts by coming up with new things for characters to do. Not by coming up with new arbitrarily-different ways to do what they could have done anyway.
    Okay. So let's remove Fireball from the PHB because you can burn stuff with torches, Mage Hand because people already have hands, Forcecage because walls are a thing...
    How do fighters using magic affect you in any way? What stops you from just taking whatever powers you want and just declaring that they're something other than magic? The implications of these things not being magic don't appear to matter to you, so what is the problem here?
    The problem is simple. When I want to make a badass normal Fighter, I don't want the DM to tell me "he only uses a sword but he's a wizard".
    Not that making a Swordizard is wrong. They can even have the core Fighter mechanics for all I care. But don't pretend a setting specific issue with "realistic" humans demands the removal of badass normal archetypes.
    Superhero games are designed to emulate a genre of fiction where rule of cool is more important than world-building. The conventions that they use are not universally applicable.
    And yet it works better than D&D.
    Probably the bloated monster manual. Or the bloated spell list. Or the rest of the fantasy kitchen sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Oh holy bejebus YES it would.
    If you could make me a point list so I can see how awful my random example is, I could use that laugh.
    Last edited by Cazero; 2017-11-26 at 12:18 PM.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.