View Single Post

Thread: Reading Heir to the Empire

1. - Top - End - #428
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Reading Heir to the Empire

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I think all of that dialogue can be increasingly justified by Obi-Wan being a filthy liar. Everyone knows his 'from a certain point of view' dodge, but I think all the post-OT retcons just establish him to be spinning Luke nothing but endless strings of falsehoods and bantha poodoo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    To be fair, four years IS a long time, and Obi-wan, even in the Clone Wars series, never really put the same significance on R2 that Anakin (and the audience) did.
    Alec Guiness was a great choice for Obi-Wan. He was an acting powerhouse. The line and delivery of "Obi-Wan Kenobi? Obi-Wan... now that's a name I've not heard in a long time... long time" indicates that he has all but forgotten his old life. Not that he has
    Spoiler: Rebels
    Show
    chopped a former Sith down back when Luke was in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by russdm View Post
    Umm, I don't recall Obiwan saying he didn't know R2, what I recall him saying was that he didn't own any droids, while R2 was claiming to be the property of Obiwan Kenobi, or basically, R2 was claiming to be owned by Obiwan. After Luke learns that Ben is Obiwan, he states that R2 does belong to Obiwan, this causes Obiwan to mention that he didn't recall owning any droids. Nowhere in the scenes does it suggest that Luke asked if Ben knew R2, it was only whether Obiwan owned the droid.
    Semantics. Ahsoka and Anakin never owned R2 either, to the best of my knowledge, yet they get filled with emotion when they see him. Also, Kenobi has no compunctions about telling Luke that he was a Jedi, so hiding that he knows R2 seems more than a bit ridiculous. If the OT was written like the PT, Clone Wars series, and current canon, the line would likely have been more akin to, "I don't recall ever owning a droi-oh hey, R2! We're old war buddies! He even saved your father's life quite a few times. What are you doing here?"
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-11-29 at 02:17 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2