Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
D'you know, I'd never really appreciated just how well built New Vegas's start was until you laid it like that? In one little segment, you have a microcosm of the wasteland as a whole. You're introduced to lockpicking, hacking, crafting, factions, in an immersive and entirely optional way.
I will be honest, i never appreciated NV's introductory sequences until i actually thought why Fallout 4's displeased me as much as it did.

Its these moments you start thinking why does X is better than Y?

I mean.. just to show you an example of Obsidian's quality writing. Fallout 3's Brotherhood of Steel bugged me to no end. I hated, hated it. I despised what they did to the faction.

And then, New Vegas happened. And i saw what happened to the BoS when it kept doing what i thought it should be doing; isolationist exclusitivist technologists: they are hunted down and slowly destroyed by attrition, or forced into hiding to the point that they practically become irrelevant.

And Veronica made the case about changing their ways. About how they should strive to become more than they were, and I agree wholeheartedly with her..

Until i realized this is exactly what Owyn Lyons has been doing in the East. He was no longer content to let his faction hide and be ******* technologists, he wanted them to be champion and protector of the population so they could survive as a people, and ensuring the Brotherhood's long term survival.

This is, this is never directly spelled out in New Vegas. The genius of New Vegas was to show us what happens to the BoS if I have had my way initially and let us draw the conclusions of our choice. It retroactively changed my opinion of a game that was in my past.