Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
The end result is a game where shooting enemies--something you're going to do a lot of in this game--is somehow boring, repetitive, and unsatisfying. It only gets worse when you add in VATS, so that you can watch people's heads explode over and over in half a dozen ways. Don't get me wrong, it's fun once you mod it up, but it gets old real quick in the base game.
I think what it comes down to is that Fallout 3 was more heavily weighted toward the RPG end of the FPS-RPG scale, while Borderlands 2 (since you give it as an example of things done right) is far more toward the FPS end. Personally, I prefer things to be at the RPG end--it's always been my contention that the main thing a CRPG should do is make progression more reliant on the in-game character's skills than the player's twitch reflexes.

Now, that doesn't mean I think it's a good idea you can have your crosshairs squarely on the enemy's head, press the mouse button, and do no damage because the secret dice rolls in the background determine that you miss. What your character's in-game skill should do is increase damage and make critical hits more likely, which Fallout 4 pretty much does. This goes back to what I was saying earlier, of course--I really don't have a problem with FO4 from a game mechanics viewpoint, although a few more interesting perk choices wouldn't go amiss.