Quote Originally Posted by NightbringerGGZ View Post
I feel like we've been saying that a lot about Paizo products as of late.

I'd be curious what criteria you're using to deem the base-line Shifter non-viable. Unimpressive, sure? But what I'm seeing shows the class doing just fine as a melee martial so long as you utilize Shifter's Edge. Without any gear, I'm seeing 18 AC with a +10 to hit at level 4, 21 AC with +16 to hit at level 8 and 22 AC +20 to hit at level 12. Only feats selected so far are Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus: Claws and Shifter's Edge, so non-claw attacks are at a -1.

You fluctuate between a 65% and 80% chance to hit an enemy with a CR equal to your level as you level, without any buffs that you don't grant yourself. Once you can afford your Amulet of Mighty Fists and Wild Armor you're doing fine, but there's actually an argument to made for relying on Mage Armor with a Dex build if you want to forgo that expense.

As for the nerf to Shifter's Edge, so far that's just a forum post and it will be some time before errata comes out (if it ever does). I'm pretty much a hard-liner on just ignoring Paizo's errata at this point, but if the nerf happens and if you can't ignore it then choosing Bull as your second aspect mitigates the damage loss a bit. You may just want to go with an Agile amulet amulet instead though, I haven't crunched the numbers on Agile w/out Shifter's Edge versus Shifter's Edge and a bit of Str.
It's late levels that are the problem. You are expected to cap at 30 dex and 20 wis, so AC: 10 base + 10 dex + 5 wis + 5 monk + 5 deflection = 35, 4 more from mouse form (your boss killer), thus 40 AC and two claws that do one-handed damage. workable AC, pitiful damage.

A large form is unworkable due to accuracy loss.

Your martial will be less than effective for a big final boss fight, you are destined to be sub standard without UMD.

I personally feel strength is more powerful, but that isn't saying much.