1. - Top - End - #942
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Got a Real-World Weapon, Armor or Tactics Question? Mk. XXIV

Quote Originally Posted by Deepbluediver View Post
    When you say "leather lamellar" do you mean something entirely made of leather, with pieces stitched together? Or do you mean a leather sheet with small pieces of something else attached to it? My understanding of lamellar was that it was one large piece of cloth or leather with small metal (or wood I guess) scales sewn on to it.
    "Leather lamellar" is entirely made of leather (small leather plates joined to each other by leather lacing or other cords). Lamellar armor does not need a backing (i.e. small plates and cords are all there is), although some still have it.

(Inside of a metal lamellar armor)

Quote Originally Posted by Deepbluediver View Post
    That was a neat video, thank you. One thing that struck me was that he was using full two-handed swings on a stationary target; I'm thinking that most fighters wouldn't just stand there and let you wail on them, so that leather might be sufficiently effective to ward off glancing blows.
    Which shows that how insanely tough leather armor actually is - that piece of leather actually resisted not just glancing blows, but quite a lot of directed powerful hits.

Skall also does dane axe/wood axe and light crossbow test on the leather. It resisted all but the heaviest blows from the axes, and survived nearly all crossbow shots excepts the one with a wicked hunting broadhead tip.
    Last edited by wolflance; 2017-12-04 at 12:03 PM.