Quote Originally Posted by ArcticMoue View Post
Hey!
I read an article recently about how scientist have discovered how to potentially grow plant life on mars by replicating the soil as best they can and they've successful so far, this got me thinking about what it'd be like if we moved there - as in would it be anything like Earth? Considering nothing went wrong, that is. My theory is that it'd be no different, especially as the population there grows, because humans don't change; the only thing changing is the location and we can still *******s half way across the world so we'd be the same on mars.
I still suspect there'd be corruption, crime, pollution and all that other stuff that gives us a bad name on earth. But I have no idea how it'd be set up on mars, would there be measures put in place to stop us from ruining society and mars like we are the earth? I think it'd be really cool to live on another planet and it'd be cool to be alive to see it happen but I think we should only planet-jump if we/the governments actually decide to take proper care of this place and make it a safe and decent place to live.
To put it bluntly, human civilization is based on massive agricultural investment in narrow bands of prime land and then sent to large population centers. Almost the entire population is located within subtropical and temperate zones with arable land, all major nations require major ports to be economically viable, and the ecological fertility of Earth is at the boiling point in many places despite those places being little more then camps for people to live in while receiving grain out of more fertile zones.

Civilization, in other words, cannot be exported to other planets because grain shipments from Kansas can't reach there. If we want to make Mars habitable we might at least try settling the Sahara desert first.