Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
Really? Because I double checked my copy of the Expanded Psionics Handbook from 3.5 and all it says about them is that they are joyless artisans who hate pretty much everyone; the 'fighting against the horrors buried beneath the earth' was your idea. Also, near as I can tell, you were trying to avoid Golarion-specific things, either due to copyright or to keep it generic enough to be slotted into any campaign. The horror they are trying to stop, "That Which Slumbers", is described as a being that will defeat all the other gods if ever relaeased and that it sleeps deep within the earth and must be kept sleeping "for the sake of all life". This is a perfect fit for Rovagug, who is, to quite the wiki "imprisoned in a state of torpor somewhere deep within Golarion". It took all the gods working together to imprison him and scores of gods died doing it. Seeing as you can count on your fingers the number of gods who've came around since then, and it is clear that he will decimate them if he escapes. and it is said that he will destroy the world if he gets out.

In short, you may not have inteded for it to be Rovagug, but it's clearly Rovagug
Or, ya know, the balrog of Lord of the Rings. Or any of hundreds, probably thousands, of takes on the same idea. Probably even shows up in real-world mythology, too.

Basically, this is a seriously classic and common fantasy trope. Rovagug is just one entry in a long, long line of similar ideas.