View Single Post

Thread: Hilgya: a redemption arc?

1. - Top - End - #74
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Hilgya: a redemption arc?

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    I used the word rape to mean any sex that was not consensual. In my country the law specifically defines rape as being sex where there is no consent (and the accused does not believe that there was consent).

Maybe you (and others here) are using the word differently though. If so, everywhere I said 'rape', instead please read 'non consensual sex'.

However, if you are simply meaning 'somewhat immoral', I suggest non-consensual is probably not the term you are looking for.
    Yeah, It's a tricky word. For instance, in my country there's a difference between kinds of sex-abuse and I can't fathom the possible differences among other legislations. Also, one could argue that psychologically speaking "rape" is a special kind of traumatic experience that doesn't necessarily involve sex.

In any case, my point was that probably Durkon in no manner felt himself "abused" by Hilgyia*; so speaking of "abuse" just because she concealed certain information** from him is pointless for the case presented in the comic. It's not there, so let's not delve into unnecessary speculation.

What Durkon felt cheated on, was because he'd rather not be involved in an unfaithful relation. He never said he was disgusted by her (as any victim of abuse would). Instead he was angry to her because she lied to him and used him to be unfaithful, something he would rather not. He also is hinted to be sad for having to tell her what he thinks is the Dwarven way, so again: not totally in line with how a victim would feel. Not to mention, I seriously doubt the comic would ever deal with speculative sex-offenders. I'd rather not discuss this situation in such serious terms, and focus on the fact that Hilgya is a manipulative liar and Durkon is kind of a ****

*Meaning that maybe he doesn't regret having had sex with her; even if he would have abstained from it if he had previously know about her marital status.
    **It's not like she manipulated him like a Black Widow either
    Last edited by Lord Joeltion; 2017-12-11 at 10:39 AM.
    (sic)

My English non très bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO