Quote Originally Posted by Airk View Post
That makes it both easier and harder. You're NEVER going to find another game with as much "options and content" as PF, because they've literally spent like 12 years or whatever churning out options and content. But your point about the nature of the game is well taken. Though I confess to having trouble reconciling "It could have abstract combat for all I care!" with "it needs as many options (presumably mechanical) as I can possibly get"?
Actually, if we can pull from before 4e, GURPS probably has more options and content than PF does, and if we can't it comes pretty close. They seem to have begun actual book support again recently as well, with titles being put into PoD and new ones being released (even if the recent releases I know of have mainly been compiling pdfs and licences). Even if we just count 4e, GURPS is crunchy and via it's genre books has a lot more content than Pathfinder, and probably more practical options in any campaign (due to it not being quite as combat focused, although tactical combat still gets an entire chapter). Plus in we go into pdf some of the settings have recieved updates from 3e (the big one being Transhuman Space), which tend to bring more options with them plus the content of the nonupdated settings.

OP, it really is sounding like you want a generic system, at which point as Fate is out the big four to consider will be HERO (probably the leader in terms of doing things with the corebook in crunchy systems), FUDGE (probably actually more versatile than HERO, but lighter), GURPS (preferred to HERO on this forum due to character creation requiring slightly less maths, and is more supplements centric but abuses that to give you a lot of options to use in any genre*), and Savage Worlds (which is the least flexible of the four). Bare in mind each generic will have a certain tone, GURPS will be grittier than Savage Worlds of FUDGE which will be grittier than HERO.

For what you've asked for I'd recommend GURPS or HERO over FUDGE, and FUDGE over Savage Worlds. Note that while FUDGE is the game Fate is based on, all the narrative stuff is 100% Fate, with the exception of Fudge Points (which, due to the lack of other narrative stuff, are much less prominent). My vote would be for GURPS, but that's because I adore the GURPS supplement books and the depth they get into, with the corebook still allowing anything up to near future play, I'm sure Knaight would vote that you try FUDGE and I think Max_Killjoy would say that HERO is better. These are all personal preferences though.

* Seriously, the X-tech books are basically set up so technology is in categories and you can allow say TL12 lasers but only TL10 computers, or TL10 medicine with TL3 weapons and armour.