Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
Gaara is a martial artist. It's literally one of their pillars of being a ninja. She doesnt have an edge there. In all honesty, especially once you start breaking down feats, it was supposed to be a stomp on the scale of Flash v QuickSilver. Toph bends earth. Toph has trouble holding a pillar up.
Toph moves like a real martial artist. Gaara has never been shown to fight or train in a way in which he didn't rely on his sand powers.

Yes, Toph in the desert has a hard time (although being able to hold the library up was quite a feat and she does it even under distraction and pressure. She shouldn't have won. The question isn't whether DB got the result wrong, its whether they are doing so just to piss Naruto fans off.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
As for proof that they pick battles, look at superman v goku 2. That fight wasn't needed and they admitted on rooster that it was done for views.
Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
Ah, to explain why I think Yang vs Tifa was dishonest is because that Death Battle was an atrocious decision, and it happened right after Roosterteeth and Screwattack merged or whatever it was that they did. Then there was the time where they had two characters from Red vs Blue fight.
DB picks who fights who, and do it for reasons like views or to give a boost to their partner sight.

The question is whether they pick the winners of those fights for those sorts of reasons.

I admit the fact that they are showmen that do lots of things for business reasons, rather than being disinterested academic scholars answering a question posed to them, means they are more likely to decide a fight because they want to get people upset if it'll get them more views.

However, I don't see the connections to pissing people off getting more views, and if it does, who to piss off? Is it any better to piss off Goku's crowd than Superman's crowd, or Spiderman 2099's? Is there any reason to believe that a policy of picking weaker winners gets them more views and makes them more popular?

By the way, Superman is hardly an obvious victory for Goku, there are plenty of fans with their own calculations supporting a Superman victory.

When I have seen academics do these sorts of calculations, what I actually tend to see is far less convincing than DB. Often times they just pick out some isolated scene or factoid and do their calculations from there without even attempting to give their numbers context. The results often seem random and missing the point.

For example, one physicist calculated that Star Wars ships are weaker than Star Trek ones (despite being much more massive) because the energy scales given in Star Wars is orders of magnitude lower than what Star Trek ships are said to put out.

When DB runs such calculations for Yang and Tifa, I am not surprised Yang's tolerance for punishment is considered incredible given they picked the episode Yang's back fought a highway supporting girder and the girder was the thing that bent.

DB often chooses some illustrative event to run some calculations for both characters, but they at least make an attempt to ground those calculation in the history and gestalt capabilities of the character.

I don't agree the winner in any of these wrong picks are so blindingly obvious it must have been picked by a dishonest judge. Also, the admissions you say Screwattack has made (I'm never going to get a link am I?) don't sound like admissions they have ignored their own analysis to pick a winner to garner more views or annoy certain fans. They basically sounds like admissions to running a show.