1. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Striking the middle ground between narrativist and gamist

Quote Originally Posted by RFLS View Post
    Woah, hey, so, it sounds like I owe an apology. I started the post, went away, did some reading, and came back to a lot of people trying to figure out what I meant when I hadn't paid serious attention to TTRPG theory in five years. So. Let's ditch the GNS terminology I used. And yes, that was the source of the wording for the title.

So. I'm looking for a game that is mechanically simple. The base mechanics of FATE are about where it should rest, give or take. I am looking for a game that steers its players (and GM/MC/DM/w/e) away from an adversarial playstyle. Finally, I am looking for a game that has mechanics that encourage players to make choices based on creating an interesting story, rather than entirely trusting that an interesting story will fall out of playing in an adversarial manner.

For clarification: When I use the word "adversarial," I am referring to the mindset that the game is GM vs. players.

Yeah. That's what prompted FATE, tbh. I'm tempted to just force PbtA at this point.
    Why not just run Fate slightly more traditionally? I guarantee it can be done. I've done it.

Heck, based on our conversations, I think most people probably play Fate closer to "traditional' gaming than you think it needs to be played.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    All else aside, character-based decisions make for far better stories than plot-based decisions.
    I totally agree. Characters pursuing their goals makes for great stories!
    Last edited by kyoryu; 2017-12-16 at 06:42 PM.
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking)"