View Single Post

Thread: The Last Jedi 2: The Next Last Jedi

1. - Top - End - #244
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: The Last Jedi 2: The Next Last Jedi

Let's assume Poe was indeed an officer before getting demoted. That still doesn't invalidate the first point. Some unknown is giving away their position to the enemy, so the head being cagey about their next move is still a justifiable step, even if it has the potential to cause greater trouble down the line.

Which again, I think it was the opposite - Finn and Rose's errand was a big deal, and that ending scene was meant to support that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    Yeah, congrats. You didn't have to before either...
    The movies did a poor job of showing that. Even after TFA, everyone was immediately coming up with theories about Rey's bloodline to explain her strength, instead of her just... being strong, without needing some kind of super-special pedigree, because we too had been conditioned to see the Force as hereditary by Lucas.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    If you're going to throw out everything established about a setting when you're supposedly expanding that setting, then your story isn't actually part of that setting. Your story is part of a new setting which you for some reason (marketing, probably) have chosen to call by the same name as the old setting.
    For starters, this is beyond melodramatic; they've hardly "thrown out everything." Many aspects of the Force remain unchanged.

But even if your statement were accurate, well - if that's the mental jump you need to rationalize what they've done, then fine, feel free to tell yourself that. The reality though is that it's their setting, not yours, and they can change it however they feel they need to, in both subtle and drastic ways. If you really see the changes as large enough to make this not be Star Wars anymore, your only remaining choice is to vote with your wallet, or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    I always hated Force as Genetics. Its terrible that this problem has been even more amplified now.
    I cannot fathom how your second sentence follows from the first (which I agree with.)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2018-01-07 at 10:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)