View Single Post

Thread: alternate ways to be a beastmaster

1. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: alternate ways to be a beastmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Camman1984 View Post
    the general concensus is that beastmaster sucks, which is a shame as I would love to play a character with a usable pet.

is there any other ways to have a useful combat companion? I have this really unique idea of a dual wielding drow with panther companion (jk). I have tried beastmaster ranger and just feel so far behind the curve it isn't fun. and have to RP grieving for my pet and finding a new one every time an enemy combatant throws it so much as a sideways glance.
    The general consensus is wrong. Beastmaster does not suck and Beastmaster is not behind the curve.
    Beastmaster simply feels wonky because of strange mechanics.
    The revised version fixed that problem, in addition to adding some power. If you can use the Revised Ranger Beastmaster, you'll be just fine.

If DM's Guild stuff is allowed, there's a Druid subclass (which was featured by Wizards) called Circle of the Beast, that feels very similar, and is mostly what the Revised Beastmaster's beast was altered to function like. WotC took that DM's Guild Druid beast subclass and used it as inspiration for the Revised Ranger's beast subclass. After the Revised Ranger was released, Circle of the Beast then added an option to use those rules outright with the subclass.
    Last edited by DivisibleByZero; 2018-01-08 at 12:13 PM.
    If you quote me and ask me questions,
    and I continue to not respond,
    it's probably because I have
    you on my Ignore list.
    Congratulations.