[This is mostly addressed at the OP even though he barely participated in his own thread and other people went and expanded it.]

The sense of wonder we have as children can't be accessed in the same way as adults, but it still can be accessed, we just merely have to learn a different way to access it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorokobe Shounen
Yorokobe Shounen (Rejoice, Boy / Young Man)

[Earlier in the scene, a young man is talking to a priest about what his wish is, and he wishes to be a superhero, a literal champion of justice.

Differing from fighting for the sake of others (altruism) or oneself (glory) as a hero, those who hold the concept of being a hero of justice will fight for the concepts of benevolence, justice, loyalty, and love in which they believe.

Aka literally a Power Ranger.

Well the young "hero" is about to enter into a "Holy Grail War" that will have the possibility of turning the city into a literal hellscape of war.]
  • Kirei Kotomine: "Rejoice, boy. Your wish will finally come true."
    The priest says, as if declaring an oracle.
  • Shirou Emiya: "What are you saying all of a sudden?"
  • Kirei Kotomine: "You should know. Your wish will not come true unless there is a clear evil. Even if it is not something you approve of, a superhero requires a villain to defeat."
  • Shirou Emiya: "---------------!"
  • Shirou Emiya's inner thoughts / monologue: I feel like everything has turned black. The priest said it. The greatest wish and the ugliest wish I have are the same. …Yes, the desire to protect something… …Is, at the same time, none other than the wish for something to violate it
  • Shirou Emiya: "-------------You..."
  • Shirou Emiya's inner thoughts / monologue: But there's no way I'd wish for something like that. I don't remember a moment when I've wished for that. Such an insecure wish… …Just means the target ideals are inconsistent. But the priest says as if to pierce my heart,
  • Kirei Kotomine: "Good thing you have an enemy now."
  • Kirei Kotomine: "No, you do not have to gloss over it. Your worries are normal for a human being."
  • Kirei Kotomine:
  • The priest smiles.
  • Shirou Emiya's inner thoughts / monologue: "---------!"
  • Shirou Emiya's inner thoughts / monologue: I shake off the priest's words and walk to the door.
Science Fiction at its core is the exploration of the Unknown for it deals with

1) What Could Be

and

2) What Will Be

And through 1 and 2, two different forms of perception that deals with pattern recognition, you explore two different forms of perception 3) What is happening now, and 4) What happened earlier / What Was.

Science Fiction can also explore what we value and not just our perceptions.

But Good Science Fiction has a sense of wonder tied to it, for wonder is the thing that links different styles of perception and different styles of assigning value to things, concepts, ideas, objects, etc into a unified whole.

-----

But wonder does not have to come from a single place. It does not need "space" to have a sense of wonder, a sense of the future, I would argue some of the earliest sci fi stories such as The Modern Promethesus (Mary Shelly, arguably the first modern sci fi novel this is arguably) and L'Ève future / The Future Eve / Tommorrows Eve, the Eve of the Future (Auguste Villiers de l'Isle-Adam) and other sci fi stories are well captured in a modern telling with the HBO scifi show WestWorld.

Thinking space as the future and find it frustrating where space is "less wondrous" than it was in the 1950s and 1960s is I think missing out what makes good sci fi, it is not the stuff but can the stuff create a sense of wonder.

-----

So lets bring this back 360 degrees, so you as a child found space to be wondrous and are frustrated out of nostalgia that there are less good stories involving space, and even if they are good stories they seem less wondrous than they used to be as your childhood sense of wonder.

Well we adults find lots of stuff that we used to find as a child mysterious to be mudane and normal. But we can find wonder in new things such as the OP (2D8HP) mentioned here.

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
I mean. I think it's a pretty awesome idea that we can print organs. That's not something we'd have thought 50 years ago. 3D printing? Going to change the face of...well so many things when the tech is up and running. Does that count? Probably not...not for you...at any rate.
Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
That is pretty awesome (I didn't know that before this thread) !

We don't have lunar landings or supersonic trans-atlantic passenger jets anymore, but damn actual replicators!

My moods a little better.
Literally 3D printing organs like in the westworld opening is now happening. We are finding out that with stem cells (either embryonic or reprogrammed stem cells from your skin or fat, turning a more developed almost stem cell into a stem cell similar to an embryonic stem cell) that as long as they have the right genes (and are not cancerous for many forms of cancers are turning off certain genes) put them next to the right cells and they automatically convert to the right thing we need to create organs. And thus 3D printing organs is literally assembling a blue print that is biodegradable, doing a basic lattice out of the appropriate transplant as a foundation, and then letting nature happen.

This was not even conceivable 5 years ago as practical, but it is now happening.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...plant/2370079/

https://cv2i.org/louisville-research...ng-3-d-hearts/

-----

So repeating my point, the future is happening, sci fi is happening, the future is happening but you have to be open to a form of wonder that is different than your childhood form, but it is really the same feeling, but finding it in different places as an adult.