Quote Originally Posted by Tonymitsu View Post
"Spell" is obvious. "Effect" is also fairly consistently defined, though still possibly open to interpretion. However, "condition" is very much an unknown quantity. Lacking any other context to go on, the scope of what what this maneuver is capable of working on seems to be almost entirely up to what the DM wishes to allow it to work on.

When I run games, I limit the maneuver's scope solely to what is present on the Condition Summary (aside from obvious things, like "Dead", and certain other ones of my choosing, like "Pinned" and "Prone"). Because, in my opinion, that is what the authors intended.
I'd actually argue that pinned can qualify for Iron Heart Surge. Prone makes no sense 'cause it's just a move action to stand up, but pinned actually makes plenty of sense. At least in my own opinion.

Your valiant warrior hero mustering up their effort and willpower to escape the grapple of an otherwise stronger or more skilled foe is one of the classical heroic manoeuvres that would be covered under Iron Heart Surge.