my thoughts on 5e: wow this is stupid simple, where is the customization?, bounded accuracy can go die in a fire, i like the idea that spells get better using higher level slots, damage cantrips are like MMO auto attacks (nothing to do? meh use the default kinda like a reserve feat from 3.5), backgrounds suck they are too restrictive, and bounded accuracy can die in a fire.

have i said that bounded accuracy can die in a fire?

3.5 has so many options and yes many of them are traps, but just a small bit of system mastery and you can avoid the glaring ones. i like being able to make the crazy stuff like a one armed pixie barbarian, a lvl 3 shadowcraft mage, a shield ONLY using dwarf duskblade, and more. yet so many of those options are completely impossible.

there is no duskblade, only eldritch knight, which still doesn't fit the style i'm looking for. the idea of a illusion mage who makes them no longer just an illlusion but quasi-real via the plane of shadows is impossible since i can't see any shadow spells. while yes 5e "balanced" the classes the restrictions made to keep it that way stifle the creativity too far.

at this point if i HAD to play 5e because my group wants to for some reason. i'd say F*#k it and just go arcane trickster because there is nothing left that isn't stupid simple and boring. casters are supposed to be magical so why when i read 5e do i not see it?

and at the end of the day what is an RPG other than a forum of people who want to have a good time? hell how is 5e better than 3.5 when mundanes still just say "i go and hit it with my axe", the caster uses the same spells at a weaker power, and there is less of a pool of inspiration to draw from because of how restricted it all is?