Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
I mean, a buff to bring a party member up to competence is a wasted buff, usually. You probably wanna buff someone who already does something useful to make them more useful than blowing all your spells making the barbarian less bad.
Too bad Gleemax is gone. I'd love to bring up the old thread of a fighter going from levels 1 to 20 single handed defeating a gauntlet of monsters which started because people said a fighter wasn't worth spending a buff spell on. The success of the fighter proved them wrong. The fighter didn't even have to win its fights. It would have been enough to show the fighter put up the good fight, and maybe if he only had a buff spell or two he would have won. However, the fighter was winning its fights superbly. Not 100% victory but close.

For the fun of it I personally ran a crusader through the gauntlet to level 12 I think. Lost only one fight and one draw, but OMG was it a slugfest. Almost all the monsters had fast healing and with the crusader healing himself all combats lasted at least 8 rounds. You were allowed to purchase magic items appropriate for your level as expected in a normal campaign. A few combats were so long the duration of potions wore out. The draw happened because I didn't feel like continuing the fight after Round 15. One thing though, I proved the crusader is an expert on being a durable tank.