Quote Originally Posted by Mikal View Post
Grapple is mostly crap. Rogue grappling could be Sneak Attacking. Monks grappling could be attempting stuns or hitting multiple opponents.
You can do some major **** while you are grappling. Monks especially have an insane amount of speed, can run up walls, and take minimal to no fall damage. Rogues do usually have something better to be doing with their action, but giving a character another possibility in their arsenal is never a bad thing.

A wizard could just get a ring or cloak of protection and raise all saves as well as AC by 1 for the same attunement cost.
They can't in campaigns where you can't just go to magic item markets or pick and choose what magic items you're going to find over the course of the adventure. I'm aware that AL handles this very differently from most non-AL games, but there's a definite distinction to be made there. In fact, your next paragraph is very dependant on whether or not you're talking about an AL game:

I'm personally not in the camp of giving a decent magic item to someone that will hardly ever use it so they might take advantage of it in very rare circumstances when it can be used to better advantage elsewhere, including in trade for a better item or gold. And yes, I consider gold to be more useful than a magic item that isn't useful for any characters in the party, and I don't consider ogre power gauntlets at all useful for a pure classed wizard, even a bladesinger.
1)Your entire party should be in argeement on this, though. If your Monk wants the gauntlets and the rest of the party doesn't mind if they get them, you're not really the sole arbiter at the table going "no, I'm selling them because you won't use them and don't need them, I'd rather we have the gold." This is a bit different in AL, but there's an even wilder discrepancy there: If you received the gauntlets yourself, you can choose what to do with them, period, but if someone else received them and a third person wants them, you get absolutely zero say in that potential trade whatsoever.

2)At later levels especially, most characters are absolutely not going to be in need of the gold you'd get for the gauntlets, especially outside of AL. In AL and at earlier levels, you're going to be more gold-hungry, but again you run into the problem that if anyone else in your party got the gauntlets rather than you, you're not going to get the gold from them either.

3)Again, most games don't have a magic item market or systems in place for you to trade for the specific item you want, so "in trade for a better item" is hardly ever going to be a thing outside of AL.