Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
The recent series that place Holmes in the 21st Century (as well as the movies that don't) are explicit in revisioning the detective. However, they attach to an under appreciated part of Holmes' character that prior adaptions often downplayed.

Here is a full length treatment of Holmes' poor social skills. By the way, I cite that article only for the support it brings from the text that his social skills were rather poor, not to make the case that he was intended to have Aspergers or some form of autism.
It's a well-written article, but it's also speculation that draws from the Doyle's personal life rather then the writing. It's also an excellent example of what I'm talking about, the author is unfamiliar with the character and works based off cultural assumptions (and if I'm being snarky, Doyle's Wikipedia page) instead of any familiarity with the character.

Actually, now that I've gone through it a third time, there's nothing there. The (roughly) first eleven paragraphs are all an introduction that work off assumption, the middle three are character analysis (of Doyle, not Holmes) and the rest is wrapping up. It's utterly baseless.