1. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: A homebrewed lovecraftian monster twice a week (currently PEACHing, the deep one)

The Deep One

"I think their predominant color was a greyish-green, though they had white bellies. They were mostly shiny and slippery, but the ridges of their backs were scaly. Their forms vaguely suggested the anthropoid, while their heads were the heads of fish, with prodigious bulging eyes that never closed. At the sides of their necks were palpitating gills, and their long paws were webbed. They hopped irregularly, sometimes on two legs and sometimes on four. I was somehow glad that they had no more than four limbs. Their croaking, baying voices, clearly used for articulate speech, held all the dark shades of expression which their staring faces lacked ... They were the blasphemous fish-frogs of the nameless design - living and horrible." - Robert Olmstead, the narrator of Shadows Over Innsmouth

This particular monster was probably one of the easier ones to create, especially because they were one of the few lovecraft monsters who was very well defined. I tried to create them as similar to the ones from The Shadow Over Innsmouth as possible. Their role in combat is quite simple really, they are mooks, meat shields that would be the servants to some sort of a stronger force. I made their CR 1/4, as according to XGtE that is the approximate power of a 1st level adventurer, which I believe is an accurate depiction of how powerful the deep ones were. I gave them a couple of features based around their amphibious nature, such as a swimming speed, resistance to cold damage, resistance to being grappled and restrained (a trait stolen from the kuo-toa), and aquatic camouflage. I was kind of torn over whether they should attack with their claws or with weapons, and I was not certain what they used in the books, so I decided to make a compromise and grant them multi-attack so they could attack with both. They also received an attack in which they throw their spear which deals less damage than their melee attacks, as to prevent them from being useless at a range but in a manner which still incentivizes them to attack in melee. You are probably wandering where pack tactics came from. The reason I included that in is because in The Shadows Over Innsmouth the way that they where all swarming over the town in unison looking for the main character seemed to indicate some sort of pack mentality, and in D&D terms that seems to imply that they would have pack tactics.

What do you all think of my translation of the deep one?
    Last edited by Requilac; 2018-01-23 at 05:05 PM.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!