Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
How do freeform casting works?
Can I convince people I am an hedge wizard that is so cool he can attempt to cast any spells as freeform casting by sacrificing some of his life force?
Let's say that hedge wizard warcasters get the Adept spell list.

6th level warcaster, 20 Int, has built herself a shrine. Wants to cast 1st level spells that aren't on her list.

+6 ranks, +3 class, +5 Int, +2 shrine bonus. That's a +16. (No synergy bonus from Arcana--if she were in a position to pick up Knowledge: ARcana, he or she'd be a book-wizard. OTOH, she's been adventuring or whatever for 6 levels. So she's picked up 6 ranks in Arcana, without the class bonus.)

MAke that +6 ranks, +3 class, +5 Int, +2 sanctum bonus, +2 synergy. That's a +18. Add +2 for the Magical Aptitude feat, +3 for Skill Focus (Spellcraft) and you're at +23.

I'd say that character build should be able to spend d6 HP to cast off-list more often than not. DC 26 means, in this case, a 10% failure chance. That seems fair.

The 2nd level elite warcaster with the 20% chance of success? You could argue that just having the +4 stat bonus makes him a prodigy. So, if he's willing to burn d6 hit points with a 4-in-5 chance of complete failure, maybe that's okay.