1. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Mage Class (Mage the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition) for D&D 3.5

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    It would be reasonable! Now that I understand what you're doing. You'd have to figure out appropriately-scaling saves, and decide on the spot what save is targeted, but that's all possible. This is way more reasonable than what I thought you were doing, though I'll admit I don't entirely grasp the point if you're keeping the magic system.
    Saving throws are pretty integral to D&D, that's why I wanted to have them. Not every bit of Magick the Mage uses would require one, but in most of the examples you cited, they probably would.

EDIT: My assumption was that making saving throws was a property of D&D characters, rather than a part of the Mage's Magick.

My idea for save DC was basically 10 + the Mage's Aretes + their casting stat.

It also lets you see backward and forward in time, and the rewind doesn't have to be prepared in advance, so any attack you survive can potentially be undone.
    True, but Forced Dream isn't that hard to manifest just before combat.

EDIT: You can augment it to last 1/min per manifester level, too.

The 'stopping missiles' example is actually stopping bullets, so I'm thinking it's meant to be a very, very fast action. Effectively Immediate in 3.5 terms. Which makes sense in the Time sphere anyway. :)
    Ah, OK.

As for the rest of it, if I were a player in your game I'd move as much as possible to less-direct or self-targeted effects to dodge the saving throw issue, because the flexibility is there to do it and it makes sense when you want to stay coincidental anyway. The enemy gets a save against me slowing him, but not against me speeding myself up, etc.
    So, mostly buffing and battlefield control.
    Last edited by ColorBlindNinja; 2018-01-29 at 07:48 PM.