It's a shame that this thread was necro'ed and is at risk for getting locked because it genuinely gave me some insight on what I had planned for a game.

The original idea was to begin the campaign following the story of two child adventurers, deemed as "chosen" by one of the chief deities of my world and heralded by the empire in which they were born. Strangely enough the deity in question is the most well known one; she is a LG deity of light and protection, with the world itself named after her. So this goddess probably knew what she was doing in choosing to bless two children with her power.

Stories would tell of their exploits as they traveled the world, battled the enemies of the empire. Over time though they would come to understand how truly messed up their world was; the nation with which they warred wasn't the horrific evil they were taught about, the empire itself was arrogant wrought with corruption, and the kids were in fact used as tools to further their own ends. One thing leads to another and one of the children falls in with one of the BBEGs of the world. "I may be bad, but at least I was honest with you. And believe it or not, I do care for your well-being, unlike the wretched leaders of your country."

The campaign itself would involve the party of PCs in the aftermath of the empire being taken over and overwhelmed by evil; evil that the child had wrought following her corruption, with the remaining nations of the world banding together to fight this threat.