Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
No they don't. So far in terms of creativity, they have been UTTERLY shackled to the OT. How about do a risky step forward?

If Star Wars of the past was as shackled to the visual ideas of its time as the current movies are to its series we would have never even gotten the Tie Fighter.
It took the Legends EU a long time to move out from the shadow of the OT. The KOTOR Era began in a series of comics which very few people read, then it got inserted backhandedly into the novel storyline when KJA started playing with Exan Kun's ghost, but it was still very much an also-ran idea until KOTOR came out in 2003, which was over a decade after Heir to the Empire launched the major expansion of the Legends EU in 1991. Once KOTOR proved mass-market stories in different eras were viable it was off to the races, and by the time the Legends EU was shuttered slightly more than a decade later it had expanded to encompass seven so-called 'publishing eras' with stories set as far back as before the Republic's founding (Dawn of the Jedi) and well into the future (the Legacy comics) and pretty much everywhere in between.

Disney axed the Legends EU and now they have to go through the process of reestablishing everything all over again and this time they have to decide what to bring back versus what to discard and they clearly aren't prepared to move on to new eras yet. I certainly don't think they've figured out how to explain to the mass audience how KOTOR isn't canon in the event they create some new Old Republic universe (Star Wars video games have a much, much larger audience than books or comics) and I also believe they are waiting on SWTOR to die. I also don't think that they quite realize that while they may have said the Legends EU isn't canon, all of the hardcore fans still know those stories and aren't particularly eager to go over that same ground again. Especially if the new material isn't high quality.

Reboots can work, but part of doing a reboot is recognizing that you will be inevitably compared to your predecessor, and if your reboot is bad it will be an unfavorable comparison that may kill your product.