Just as a means of conversation, I was wondering about how other tables play and what play would be like at those tables (Be they physical or virtual). I'm not talking about things like "well, first we roll some dice... then we determine an outcome" or anything like that. I mean what are the power dynamics like? What is the optimization level? What is the setting like, is it something cannon or is it homebrewed? What kinds of adventures do you have? Can a player comfortably play non-magic users at your table? Is magic a requirement to make a competative character at your table? Things of that nature. I'm not really digging in to anything in particular except to see how other people play.

At the tables I play at, the group is typically mildly optimized and moderately powerful. Everybody has one or two things they are really good at, a lot of things they're pretty good at, and a few things they aren't so good at. We play either in a completely homebrewed setting or in a loosely Forgotten Realms based setting with a helthy serving of homebrew added. Everyone in the group usually plays something thematically fun as opposed to overwhelmingly powerful. Often we fight lots of undead and lesser monsters, but most of the opposition is humanoid with class levels and some RHD. This keeps it pretty fair for the Martial type characters that typically suffer when things have High DR. That's not to say we don't use monsters with DR, but that it's rarely so outrageous that it renders a player's character useless (like no DR 10/- against a two weapon fighter). I like to think that the group has the good sense to run away from challenges too big for them, but a lot of times one player or another will want to stand up to the challenge and then complain when they get smaked hard and have to run. The bottom line is that everyone has fun and we all play in the same power level on purpose. If a group of us wants to play really high power, we just play together for a bit while the others take a break and then we get back together to play in the comfort level.

What about your groups, tables, etc. How do you ladies and gents play?