Our house group runs the gamut. It's four of us, with myself being the most serious 'optimizer', but even so not very. I don't multiclass, no real PRC's, and the like, but tend to be very 'optimized for task', focusing on one or two things and neat tricks, usually built around a theme. Lately I've been adoring the Spheres of Power/Spheres of Might stuff because of its' versatility, and kindasorta getting my male roommate into it too. My wife likes social and illusion-based characters with lots of charisma, and our female roommate has a very low level of experience and knowledge. (AKA asks other people to make her characters.) It's a very mixed power level, which whoever is DMing normally makes up for by DM fiat. Our combats tend to be very loose, with narrative distances and descriptions used rather than using an actual playmat.

We have three games going currently. One on roll20 run by my wife (Zeroes to Heroes! She streams every other Friday on Twitch, feel free to check it out! Foxnclocksgaming. /shamelessplug) that is currently... at level 2. I am currently the only third party class/race (Voyager, the Psionic Skirmisher, by Dreamscarred Press!) and am casually playtesting it. Makes for an interesting character. Lots of RP-oriented stuff there too, very mechanics-light.

One I am DMing is a Spheres playtest, for my wife and male roommate, in a Stronghold-style (My wife wants me to stream it on her channel. That's forthcoming.)

The third is... a horrifyingly brutal Underdark game where I am playing a chitine (Little four armed, two legged half-spider) slayer/alchemist trying out the Toxicant archetype from the companion books. That one we are level 12 and having a terribly rough go of things. Other players include a beetle-humanoid barbarian who digs when he gets pissed off, a stabby rogue moth (Gloaming), a Deep Imaskari Illusion mage polyglot who just adores shiny new languages and a laconic sense of humor, and... What's he playing again? Oh, right, this time he's a Warpriest. Hopefully this one will survive enough sessions to bother learning his name...

For the most part, I'm the living D&D reference book my friends use, and am the only one who surfs GITP regularly. Our games are very RP-based and only loosely mechanical, with a heavy emphasis on smart decision making (Which is what happened to the last two characters the poor Warpriest played. One died of old age in a time-warped labyrinth, and the other of... Well. A fight with a gold dragon turned into the Hydraulic Press channel.) Character themes tend to have more utility than pure mechanics, and most third party stuff is allowed as long as it is thematic and not overly game-breaking.