Ok well this sort of exploded on me sense I went to bad last night. And slightly morphed into something I didn't expect but IS a interesting discussion all the same.

There are far to many posts to response to individually at this point but I will do my best to address what topics I've noticed come out of this thread and try to clarify what my problem is when its not 3am.

First - yes my math was a little off in my examples. The point i was trying to get across though was that the Hex-blade subclass (at least I thought) was designed around having a more close quarters combat warlock vs a ranged blast lock. But looking at things no matter how you slice it. It feels like that a range blast lock will always preform better then a close combat lock. Though it seems in my griping I touch upon a much larger issue when it came to 5th's game design.

Second - The table I am at is mostly made up of me and 3 other friends who have been gaming together for about 10 years now and this game started in 4th over 6 years ago and was only switched over to 5th in the past year so as someone said 4th had a much different way of handling recharge and how spells worked. One we greatly enjoyed but as was said. Many did not so they have tried a new system. With how tactical 4th was having one big epic combat every so often didn't effect the party on a individual basis because everyone had the same mechanics and recharge rates. So its has become an issue in 5th ed for us.

Third - The more I think about it. The posts in this threads and from my own dealings in playing things for the past year in 5th at my table and online. The more I personally feel that while I love the bounded accuracy of 5th this split mechanic of short rest classes and long rest classes is not a good idea at all. It leads to the problem I am having and the issues expressed by those in this thread so far. For a system that is very open and extremely easy to home-brew for, this part of the system feels clunky and not in the spirit of the rest of the system. Yes the gritty long rest variant could be a help here but lets take the system as is without that rule. Most other mechanics at the core of 5th play nice and keep things within a certain range of each other most times. I don't like the idea of a short rest for an hour, it just seems silly in most cases that you would suddenly hunker down for an hour in between some fights just so you can recharge. I personally feel 4th ed's vs of short rest worked much better and made more sense to me at least.

The simply answer may be for us to go back to 4th but between the crappy rabbit hole that DND insider has been shoved down and how iffy silver light has become with the online builder. Its not a prospect I would look forward to. I know there is a ton of hate on 4th but for some of us it was really fun. Its all but dead in the water now when it comes to online tools and oh god the amount of books you would have to go through if you don't have a good virtual builder to help you.