Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
I think Don't Split The Party commentary (plus various other things The Giant has said on the boards) has made it clear just how much The Giant dislikes these two things, and how much OOTS is about subverting the assumption that this is "just the way D&D has to be".

I'll be interested in seeing exactly what OoTS will do with it, toward the end.
And that was the crux of my original point. D&D has certain assumptions that you need to make, otherwise it stops being D&D. Because why draw the line at orcs/goblins? Demons and dragons are stated to be 99% evil, but there's that 1%, so maybe you shouldn't just kill demons. Killing non-sentient monsters seems harmful to the environment, why not just use magic to drive them away?

Don't get me wrong, I understand what Rich Burlew is trying to do, but it would be akin to somebody that wants to do piracy without taking something that doesn't belong to you. D&D is a complex combat mechanics system that has a thin layer of "generic high fantasy" paint. Now, if you wanted to do more nuanced stuff, then go for something like WoD or Shadowrun.

Imagine how much cooler OotS would be if it were a Shadowrun comic?