Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
You know I don't know a lot about Apocalypse World 2e (I know one move it added (I think) from 1e) to actually comment on this, but it reminds me of one of my... tabletop criticism pet peeves.

Over use of the word objective.

The worst cases are when people just stick it in front of a statement that... really it has nothing to do with objectivity. Or if it does, according so some standard that was never clarified. "This is objectively a bad mechanic." OK according to balance, ease of use, accuracy, scaling... your taste?

And even if it is used properly it actually kind of weakens the argument because the final goal of most role-playing games is to have fun. Which is very defiantly a subjective thing, you need the subject to have any hope of getting a result. Yes you can generalize across subjects, but none of these things will be universal (see Quertus being bigger on trans-campaign characters than anyone else it this thread) so none of them are entirely of the object. Objective things are like rules, dates and numbers, none of which can really cover the actual quality of a system or rule.
Yes, forgive me. That's a way of exaggerating that I find amusing. Specifically, making an obviously subjective argument and using "objectively."

Such as today, when a player was deciding which song title to use as a pun for a FATE stunt where one of several gods living in her head can just pilot her body to success once per game.
Of the options, the song "Jesus take the wheel" was, in my words, "objectively the best choice."

Though the Threat Map is a lot less convenient for everything except physical, geographical location. It is harder to subdivide larger fronts into individual threats to be managed just because you have less space. (Fronts could be several pages. The threat map is one page, unless you want to juggle two near-identical pages and remember which threats are on which map.

Now, a fusion between those two could work really well! But the Fronts system is more robust. Since AW wants to have lots of threats running around, having more room for them is important, and their positions relative to the players are not actually all that important, mechanically.

Basically, it's discordant where Fronts are harmonious with stated intentions of the system.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.