Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
Putting my dog down in the morning. She was the dumbest, laziest dog I have ever known but I can't stop crying.
I'm sorry. I've been through the same several times, and it never gets easier. My family lost one of our cats a couple months ago, and it still hurts. Even when it's the right thing to do, it's never easy.

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
In other news, the doctor just told my grandpa, who is turning 98 in 7 days, that he probably has about 9-12 months left to live, because of cancer cells in a, this time, not operable place.
Normally, my grandad would give the doctor the finger, as he's been doing for the last 20+ years, whenever they've told him he had a tumor.
This time however it's serious because of where it's located, and having lost my grandmother some 1-2 years ago, I think the will to fight it may just have left my granddad.
My cousin, who was gearing up to get married in August, will be holding the civil cerimony much earlier, just to be sure he'll be there to see it, just like her sister did with my grandma, who also lived to see the civil cerimony but missed the religious one. Let's hope she didn't set a precedent.
Anyhoo, I'll be visiting him just after his birthday, in 2 weekends time. I hope to find him in good spirits...
More importantly, I suck at giving small talk and pats on the back in such occasions and I hope that I'll be able to give him some comfort without really giving him the feeling I'm saying goodbye. Living 1300 km away from him doesn't help.
I'm sorry for your grandfather too. 98 is a pretty full life, but I'd imagine even then that it's hard news to receive. Is he still otherwise in good enough shape that he can get around, even with some help? This might be time to check off a few of those "always wanted to..." items from his life list, while there's still time. I hope when he does go, that it's peacefully while he's asleep. And I hope you have time to make your peace with the loss so that it hurts a bit less when it happens.