Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSpace9000 View Post
I'm currently working on a campaign when I can, and one thing I want to do is use primarily Drop Dead Studio's Spheres of Power/Might supplements as the main 'gimmick'. There are, however, a couple of sticky points with doing this setup in Eberron, however. First, the Dragonmarks would need to be retooled, and just off-hand I'm thinking they grant magic sphere access, extra talents from those spheres, and caster level bonuses for said spheres. Any thoughts about this?

I also do wonder about broad changes to the world, like no Continual Flame to make (big) city lighting, no Magecraft to churn out masterwork goods, etc. Are there any other issues that I haven't sniffed out? Any way within SoP to address the above issues cleanly?

Thanks in advance.
I've actually been working on the same thing. You can leave Dragonmark abilities as spell like abilities but one idea I was toying with was altering the Basic Magical Training and the Advanced Magical Training feats to sort of be a Least and Lesser Dragonmark feats. I'm not quite sure how to handle the CL yet. An advantage is that since the spheres don't always need spell points, a Dragonmarked service wouldn't be limited to only having a magical ability once a day.

There's still work to figure out how to do the Greater Dragonmark and also how Dragonmark items would work out. For instance some give extra uses per day of the Dragonmark, so maybe they can give extra spell points only usable for Dragonmark abilities.

Now, as far as no Continual Flame, I think you're missing out on a whole aspect of the Spheres system. Incantations and Rituals, already mentioned earlier in the thread, I think are very appropriate for Eberron and how things like magewrights work. This is already how it basically works in 4th edition. Existing spells that are pretty much entirely utility are meant to be handled by things like rituals. And I'd certainly have the Dragonmarked Houses have a monopoly on the rituals that pertain to their businesses. Rituals and Incantations to me are the vehicle that things like raising the floating towers of Sharn would have involved and how the simple innkeeper blesses his beer to keep it fresh.

The example rituals and incantations in the Sphere books cover a lot of big things, but it would make sense for a ton very minor rituals and incantations to be around and a major part of how magewrights, adepts, and the druid farmer version of the npc working class caster work.

So the Continual Flame ritual would basically be this:
Sphere Light; Ritual Level 2
Casting Time 30 minutes
Components V, S, M (50gp of ruby dust)
Description This functions as the continual flame spell.

Or Magecraft:
Sphere (Enhancement or Divination, not sure which is best); Ritual Level 1
Casting Time 5 minutes
Components V, M (5gp of rare crafting supplies)
Description This functions as the Magecraft spell.

Other than that, I've been working on creating Martial traditions and Casting Traditions suitable for the different cultures. And new Equipment Disciplines for regions. Examples:
Valenar (Elf)
You gain proficiency with the elven branched spear, elven curveblade, longbow, falchion, scimitar, shortbow, two-bladed scimitar, and lance. In addition, whenever you make a ranged attack from atop a mount, you take only half the usual attack penalty.

Dar (Goblinoid)

You gain proficiency with the flail, heavy flail, dire flail, spiked chain, flailpole, double-chained kama, katana, kama, kusarigama, longbow, naginata, nodachi, tetsubo, and wakizashi.
I've chosen to interpret Goblinoids as having an eastern aesthetic, although not culture, including class options, which is why the katana and such are there too.

And then here is my Hobgoblin martial tradition:
Kech Shaarat/Bladebearers
Equipment: Dar (Equipment Discipline), Armor Training
You gain proficiency with the flail, heavy flail, dire flail, spiked chain, flailpole, double-chained kama, katana, kama, kusarigama, longbow, naginata, nodachi, tetsubo, and wakizashi.
Duelist sphere
Variable: Followers of the Dar way gain either the Berseker sphere or Draw Cut from the Duelist sphere.
Alternate Traditions: Barbarian, Gladiator, Dedicated Duelist, Pit Fighter, Phalanx Soldier, Pikeman, Weapon Master
Paizo Classes: Samurai, Cavalier (Big Cat mounts), Fighter, Slayer, Swashbuckler.