Quote Originally Posted by tstewt1921 View Post
So me and my group just had a buddy of ours run Roll Master for us, for the most part we love the system however we aren't the biggest fans of the charts and the time it takes to go from one to the other, even though the descriptions are wonderful. So we are wondering if we are able to convert it to remove the charts. Our ideas;

1. For the attack/defense portion it would just be opposed rolls, the defender would use their Total DB vs. the Attackers total OB (with any minuses for called shots and such)

And that's actually the only idea we have at the moment, the issue we have is when it comes to determining hits...would we need to make a flat damage per weapon or do we do it when there is a difference in attack and defense? Any ideas on how to do this would be wonderful!

Everything else within the system is perfectly fine and is easily adjustable, it's just the hits portion that we can't think of how to change.
I'm a huge fan of Role Master (yes, the "roll" master joke thing is funny...not sure if you did it intentionally, but that line has been around for decades, along with Chart Master).

I've got to tell you, I think you'd be making a big mistake to strip away the weapon/armor charts. They reflect the advantages and disadvantages of specific kinds of weapons and specific kinds of armor...trying to model, for instance, the difference between using a slashing weapon and a piercing weapon against chain mail, or a crushing weapon compared to a slashing weapon against plate armor. And as you gain more proficiency in the system the perceived difficulties drop away.

So rather than stripping away something that is a real strength of the system, find a way to use that system more quickly. I specifically recommend making photocopies/printouts of the primary and secondary weapon chart for each character. You throw your attack dice, add your OB and modifiers, subtract the DB and look up the result. It takes longer to write that line than it does to use the system in practice. On the rare occasions you get a critical, the GM can tell you the result. This both reduces the burden of lookups on the GM and spreads the math around to the whole table.

- M