Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
People are cynical because it never seems to do any good - nor really can it, since we need a neverending supply of goons so he and the various Robins can break their arms and legs, and Arkham can't be effective either since Batman's villains are the most marketable aspect of the character after the outfits and vehicles.
The justification I recall is creeping corruption among the dudes that are supposed to oversee the charities/mental Asylum. I particularly recall a story where the Arkham directors cut down in the number of guards so they can give themselves bigger bonus.

Which is why Batman is doing it wrong. It's not enough to throw money at such projects, he needs to make sure they're being properly run. But that takes time and Bruce Wayne will rather getting high cracking his knuckles against desperate citizens whose only hope of feeding their families is working for the Joker instead of boring review of bureaucracy paperwork to make sure his money isn't being spent to buy somebody's ferrarri.

Speaking of which how much money do you think Batman spends in his bat-toys again? All those bat-suits, bat-cars, bat-bikes, bat-planes, that he destroys and replaces in a daily basis? Instead he could basically outbid every Ghotam criminal when it comes to hiring people.

Also I wouldn't mind so much if, say, the villains cunningly escaped after each episode and went underground, performed crimes in other cities or pulled a Lex Luthor and just got themselves really good lawyers (heck Two Face is one himself, so I could see him running a side business of getting other batman enemies released).

But when the Joker escapes for the 126681th time from the same place and walks right back to Ghotam, I would expect somebody to ask "hmmm, maybe we should throw him in another place from where inmates don't escape every 5 seconds" or "hmmm, maybe we should get some inspectors to go check if things are being run properly".