Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
I think I agree that enchanting is overpowered in Skyrim, but in Oblivion feather spells, potions and items are more overpowered than enchanting is in Skyrim. There was probably something overpowered in Morrowind but I haven't played that much.
Oh, sure. Morrowind had no end of overpowered things, but that was mostly a function of the magic system having the potential to get stupid broken. At the same time, it made you work for your enchantments. They were stupidly expensive, and that in a world where you couldn't easily offload any valuable loot for its true value.

Even then, you had artifacts that were valuable because you couldn't replicate them yourself. Stuff like the Boots of Blinding Speed, or the spear of Hircine, or the Boots of the Apostle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
Though, as mentioned, loading up your companion with petty soul gems and giving them a soul-taking weapon is also hella effective. "Oh, look, I made 300 pairs of magic pants that fortify carry weight for their own weight!"
The grind for soul gems isn't so much the problem, so much as the subsequent coming back to town and the mind-numbing process of "ring, fortify sneak, petty soul, craft, ring, fortify sneak, petty soul, craft, ring, fortify sneak, petty soul, craft," ad nauseum and times three hundred.