Something something throw off the shackles something? Yeah, I'm bad at this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasia
Kasia, Breaker of Chains
Chaotic Good Dark Human
Dark Template 1/Battle Dancer 1/Warlock 4/Fatemaker 9/Unseen Seer 5

Spoiler: Background
Show

I understand what you’ve been through. My earliest memory is of the collar snapping shut around my neck. A scared young girl snatched up by unscrupulous men. A dusky, otherworldly oddity for Madame Dumont’s so-called Dancehall and Lounge.

I still find my hands straying to my throat to feel for the long faded marks of my chains, nervous habit the only remaining sign of my indenture; no brand to mar my flesh because, well, you of all people know why. For many years the stage and chains circumscribed my life, such as it was.

Then one day something in me broke and the darkness within came boiling out, shattering chains and flesh alike without discrimination. In hindsight I am not proud of what I did that night before vanishing into the darkness. Satisfied, yes, but not proud.

I was angry for a long time. Rage and vengeance defined my days; a trail of broken bodies, broken lives marked my path. What little I recall of that time I don’t care to dwell upon. Eventually I came to realize that however satisfying my actions may be – and at times they were indeed, very satisfying – they were inevitably ineffectual. I needed to work on a grander scale to affect the institutions that allow for such injustice as I had been raised to. I needed to seize and shape the fates of not just individuals and myself, but of whole societies. And so I remade myself, came out of the shadows and into society. I learned the language of diplomacy and influence, and slowly I’ve worked to destroy the industry that has brought so much misery to so many. There is satisfaction in effecting systemic change, though the good I accomplish takes longer to realize than does direct action. However, when the opportunity comes to help others of us who have not yet had the fortune to escape their chains, when action can serve, I slip back into the shadows to do what must be done. Which is how I’ve come to you.

So I know what you’re feeling; you’re terrified and furious, on the brink of despair or hope, wondering how you can possibly move on from the ruins of your life left behind with the person you once were before this ordeal. The way I see it you have two paths ahead of you: you can succumb to the fear and despair, the hopelessness. You can accept that life as you knew it is over. Or you can stand and say ‘No! No I will not allow those who sought to make me less than a person succeed!’ Defy them, whether by living a full life, or perhaps by seeking to end the injustices that were visited upon you. It will be hard. Every day it will be hard, and sometimes you’ll falter, sometimes fail, but it will be your life, by your will and no other’s and isn’t that worth striving for? After all, there are two paths to take; one is easy, and that is its only reward.

Spoiler: Ability Scores
Show
Ability Score Final
Strength 8 8
Dexterity 13 13
Constitution 10 10
Intelligence 16 16
Wisdom 10 10
Charisma 17 23
All Fatemaker and Level Bonuses to CHA

Spoiler: Build Progression
Show

Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
1st Dark Template - - - - Skillname RanksGained(Total Ranks) - Subtype (extraplanar); Speed +10 all modes; Darkvision 60ft; Hide in Plain Sight (Ex); Resist Cold 10; Superior Low-Light Vision; +8 Hide, +6 Move Silently
2nd Battle Dancer +1 +0 +2 +0 Balance 4; Bluff 2; Diplomacy 4; Hide 4; Intimidate 2; Listen 4; Move Silently 4; Sense Motive 4; Spot 2; Use Magic Device 2 Able Learner; Apprentice (Entertainer) (B); Improved Unarmed Strike (B) AC Bonus; Unarmed Strike
3rd Warlock +1 +0 +2 +2 Balance 1(5); Bluff 2(4); Diplomacy 1(5); Intimidate 1 (3); Listen 1(5); Hide (4); Move Silently (4); Sense Motive (4); Spot (2); UMD (2) - Eldritch Blast 1d6; Invocations (Least)
4th Warlock +2 +0 +2 +3 Bluff 1(5); Diplomacy 1(6); Intimidate 2(5); Sense Motive 1(5); Spot 1(3); Balance (5); Hide (4); Listen (5); Move Silently (4); UMD (2) Skill Focus (Intimidate) Detect Magic (at will)
5th Warlock +3 +1 +3 +3 Bluff 2(7); Diplomacy 1(7); Intimidate 2(7); Listen 1(6); Balance (5); Hide (4); Move Silently (4); Sense Motive (5); Spot (3); UMD (2) - Damage Reduction 1/cold iron; Eldritch Blast 2d6
6th Warlock +4 +1 +3 +4 Bluff 1(8); Diplomacy 1(8); Hide 1(5); Intimidate 1(8); Move Silently 1(5); Spot 1(4); Balance (5); Listen (6); Sense Motive (5); UMD (2) - Deceive Item
7th Fatemaker +4 +1 +5 +6 Bluff 1(9); Diplomacy 1(9); Hide 2(7); Intimidate 1(9); Listen 1(7); Move Silently 2(7); Use Magic Device 2(4); Balance (5); Sense Motive (5); Spot (4) Darkstalker Take Charge Appeal (CHA +1); Spellcasting
8th Fatemaker +5 +1 +6 +7 Bluff 1(10); Diplomacy 1(10); Hide 2(9); Intimidate 1(10); Move Silently 2(9); Spot 1(5); Use Magic Device 2(6); Balance (5); Listen (7); Sense Motive (5) - Confidence of the Fated 1/day
9th Fatemaker +6 +2 +6 +7 Bluff 1(11); Diplomacy 1(11); Hide 2(11); Intimidate 1(11); Listen 1(8); Move Siently 2(11); Sense Motive 2(7); Balance (5); Spot (5); UMD (6) - Sneak Attack +1d6
10th Fatemaker +7 +2 +7 +8 Bluff 1(12); Diplomacy 1(12); Hide 1(12); Intimidate 1(12); Listen 2(10); Move Silently 1(12); Spot 3(8); Balance (5); Sense Motive (7); UMD (6) Craven Aura of Confidence (+1)
11th Fatemaker +7 +2 +7 +8 Bluff 1(13); Diplomacy 1(13); Hide 1(13); Intimidate 1(13); Listen 2(12); Move Silently 1(13); Spot 3(11); Balance (5); Sense Motive (7); UMD (6) - Take-Charge Appeal (CHA +1)
12th Fatemaker +8 +3 +8 +9 Bluff 1(14); Diplomacy 1(14); Hide 1(14); Intimidate 1(14); Listen 2(14); Move Silently 1(14); Spot 3(14); Balance (5); Sense Motive (7); UMD (6) - Sneak Attack +26d
13th Fatemaker +9 +3 +8 +9 Bluff 1(15); Diplomacy 1(15); Hide 1(15); Intimidate 1(15); Listen 1(15); Move Silently 1(15); Spot 1(15); UMD 3(9); Balance (5); Sense Motive (7) Point Blank Shot Confidence of the Fated 2/day
14th Fatemaker +10 +3 +9 +10 Bluff 1(16); Diplomacy 1(16); Hide 1(16); Intimidate 1(16); Listen 1(16); Move Silently 1(16); Spellcraft 2; Spot 1(16); UMD 1(10); Balance (5); Sense Motive (7) - Aura of Confidence (+2)
15th Fatemaker +10 +4 +9 +10 Bluff 1(17); Diplomacy 1(17); Hide 1(17); Intimidate 1(17); Listen 1(17); Move Silently 1(17); Spellcraft 2(4); Spot 1(17); UMD 1(11); Balance (5); Sense Motive (7) - Sneak Attack +3d6
16th Unseen Seer +10 +4 +9 +12 Bluff 1(18); Diplomacy 1(18); Hide 1(18); Intimidate 1(18); Listen 1(18); Move Silently 1(18); Spot 1(18); UMD 1(12); Balance (5); Sense Motive (7); Spellcraft (4) Precise Shot Damage Bonus (Sneak Attack) +1d6; +1 level of Arcane Spellcasting (Warlock); Warlock: Eldritch Blast 3d6
17th Unseen Seer +11 +4 +9 +13 Bluff 1(18); Diplomacy 1(19); Hide 1(19); Intimidate 1(19); Listen 1(19); Move Silently 1(19); Spot 1(19); UMD 1(13); Balance (5); Sense Motive (7); Spellcraft (4)
SKILL TRICK: Social Recovery
- Advanced Learning (Hunter’s Eye); Silent Spell; +1 level of Arcane Spellcasting (Warlock); Warlock: Lesser Invocation
18th Unseen Seer +12 +5 +10 +13 Bluff 1(20); Diplomacy 1(20); Hide 1(20); Intimidate 1(20); Listen 1(20); Move Silently 1(20); Sense Motive 2(9); Spot 1(20); UMD 1(14); Balance (5); Spellcraft (4) - Divination Spellpower +1; +1 level of Arcane Spellcasting (Warlock); Warlock: Eldritch Blast 4d6
19th Unseen Seer +13 +5 +10 +14 Bluff 1(21); Diplomacy 1(21); Hide 1(21); Intimidate 1(21); Listen 1(21); Move Silently 1(21); Sense Motive 2(11); Spot 1(21); UMD 1(15); Balance (5); Spellcraft (4) Woodland Archer Damage Bonus (Sneak Attack) +2d6; +1 level of Arcane Spellcasting (Warlock)
20th Unseen Seer +13 +5 +10 +14 Bluff 1(22); Diplomacy 1(22); Hide 1(22); Intimidate 1(22); Listen 1(22); Move Silently 1(22); Spot 1(22); UMD 3(18); Balance (5); Sense Motive (11); Spellcraft (4) - Advanced Learning (Locate Object), Guarded Mind, +1 level of Arcane Spellcasting (Warlock); Warlock: Eldritch Blast 5d6

Spells Per Day/Spells Known
Level 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
1st - - - -
2nd - - - -
3rd - - - -
4th - - - -
5th - - - -
6th 0/2 - - -
7th 1/3 - - -
8th 2/3 0/2 - -
9th 3/4 1/3 - -
10th 3/4 2/3 0/2 -
11th 3/4 3/4 1/3 -
12th 3/4 3/4 2/3 0/2
13th 3/4 3/4 3/4 1/3
14th 3/4 3/4 3/4 2/3
15th 3/4 3/4 3/4 2/3
16th 3/4 3/5 3/4 2/3
17th 3/4 3/5 3/4 2/3
18th 3/4 3/5 3/4 2/3
19th 3/4 3/5 3/4 2/4

Spells Known:
Level 1: Charm Person, Expeditious Retreat, Sanctuary, True Strike
Level 2: Cat’s Grace, Daze Monster --> Bull’s Strength, Eagle’s Splendor, Invisibility, Hunter’s Eye (Unseen Seer lvl2)
Level 3: Haste, Nondetection, Suggstion, Tongues
Level 4: Charm Monster, Remove Curse, Restoration, Locate Object (Unseen Seer lvl5)

Invocations Known:
Least: Beguiling Influence (@ECL 3), See the Unseen (@ ECL 4), Baleful Utterance (@ ECL6)
Lesser: Flee the Scene (@ECL 17), Voidsense (@ECL 19)

Spoiler: Build Write-up
Show

Spoiler: Level 1:
Show
Kasia starts her career with only one HD at ECL2 due to the Dark template and is thus somewhat vulnerable early on. While full BAB on Battle dancer helps not fall too far behind early, the small hit die of the class (d8) and Kasia’s low CON mean she’s going to immediately default to the play-style which will characterize her throughout – a charming sneak who avoids a fair fight wherever possible. The Dark template helps with this, giving her Hide in Plain Sight as well as +8 to Hide and +6 to Move Silently, giving her +13 and +11 modifiers respectively without gear right off the bat. With some Listen and Spot ranks she can act as a party scout fairly effectively. Additionally she’s starting to improve her social skills: Apprentice (Entertainer) gives Diplomacy as a class skill, and Able Learner will help with maximizing skill ranks later on in her career.

Spoiler: Level 5:
Show
At this point Kasia has taken four levels of Warlock, which come with a bunch of goodies for her. See the Unseen and Detect Magic at will help round out her senses for the scouting role. Unfortunately the skills associated with sneaking (Hide, Move Silently, Spot, Listen) have all lagged somewhat behind max ranks, though the Warlock levels have been good to Kasia’s other areas of expertise. Picking up Beguiling Influence gives an un-typed bonus to the big three social skills which are also now maxed out. Add in Skill Focus (Diplomacy) and 18 CHA and she is a very capable party face. Acquiring the Eldritch Blast ability sets up Kasia’s main combat technique for the rest of her career, namely sniping with EB and HiPS. Her damage output is not high by any means, but DPS is at best her third role. The 4th level Warlock ability Deceive Item allows Kasia to take 10 with Use Magic Device, though with only 2 ranks in it so far it has not yet come online. Finally, Kasia has taken the Baleful Utterance invocation, which aside from being occasionally hilarious, allows her to open pretty much anything as long as she doesn’t care about being heard.

Spoiler: Level 10:
Show
This is what we’ve been waiting for: the amazing, the incredible Secret Ingredient, THE FATEMAKER!! Kasia’s taken five levels at this point and it is surprisingly useful. Kasia is at heart a specialized Skillmonkey with some Charisma synergy, and the Fatemaker’s (many, largely unrelated) class features support this play style pretty well. The Fatemaker gives 6 skill points per level, which allows Kasia to max out all of her primary skills at this point (Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Hide, Move Silently) with Spot and Listen maxing out next level. UMD was brought to 6 ranks at level 7, which along with Deceive Item and a +4 CHA modifier means Kasia can activate wands without fail. Take Charge Appeal gives a welcome un-typed bonus to CHA, which at this point means Kasia is sitting at a respectable 21 without items or spells. Confidence of the Fated gives a morale bonus to a role of nearly any type we want 1/day, which is useful for those social skill checks you really don’t want to fumble, or a nice boost to Hide if you need to slip away using HiPS. Sneak Attack adds a little bonus to Kasia’s damage and fits into her combat style like it was meant to be (it was), as well as qualifying for Craven at level 9 for a further damage potential increase. It is worth noting that Darkstalker was picked up at level 6, which makes her sneak attack more reliable, as well as her general scouting abilities. Aura of confidence is admittedly pretty useless for Kasia, unless she’s sneaking with a folks (fluff wise actually comes up pretty often) which will be dependent on campaign/party for utility. It could also apply if she is babysitting another ranged character, or ends up in a band I suppose. Fatemaker also gives Kasia access to spellcasting, from a list that can allow her to act as a secondary buffer, as well as supplement her out of combat abilities. Expeditious Retreat, Haste, True Strike, and Invisibility are useful for combat and sneaking activities, whereas Charm Person, Suggestion, and eveng Eagle’s splendor can help supplement her natural social abilities.

Spoiler: Level 15:
Show
At level 15 Kasia decides that a 1/day fifth level spell for melee combat holds no appeal and jumps from the Good Ship Fatemaker. The latter four levels of the class simply improve the class features previously mentioned giving a total of +3d6 SA, +2 CHA, Confidence of the Fated 2/day, and Aura of Confidence +2. These are all just as applicable as they were at level ten. Additional spellcasting progression increases the potency of her magical support role. The Fatemaker list is rather small, but it critically contains exactly two Divination Spells (True Strike and Tongues), which qualifies Kasia for Unseen Seer at level 15. If you are a sneaky, skillful, magical character Unseen Seer is basically everything you could hope for. At level 1 it gives +1d6 SA for a total of +4d6, and the spellcasting increase can be applied to Warlock (this is WAY better than bothering to get the 10th level casting from Fatemaker), which advances Eldritch Blast damage to 3d6 and advances Invocations. At this point our sniping damage is 3d6 EB +4d6 +15 SA, which while not great also doesn’t totally suck. You can also at this point probably afford some Rods of Eldritch Power, which you can use to add rider effects to your Eldritch Blast. Hitting things is made easier by the acquisition of Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot at levels 12 and 15 respectively. Kasia has also started to rank up UMD again. At level 15 she has 12 ranks, so with Deceive Item, CHA 22, and Eagle’s Splendor that’s a solid 31 UMD check which means she can cast scrolls up to CL 11 (level 6 wizard/cleric spells) and emulate class features up to level 11 without breaking a sweat.

Spoiler: Level 19:
Show
Kasia finishes out her build with more Unseen Seer levels. Five levels of US gives a total of +2d6 SA for a total of +5d6+19 SA. Spellcasting advancement for Warlock bumps Eldritch Blast up to 5d6, as well as gives access to two Lesser invocations, of which Kasia takes Flee the Scene for a get out of jail free card as well as all the other benefits of at will teleportation, and Voidsense which completes her senses except for mindsight which we can’t get. Five levels of US also gives access to Advanced Learning twice. The text of Advanced Learning never specifies to which spell list you must assign the new spell, so Kasia can add both Hunter’s Eye and Locate Object to her Fatemaker spells known while still applying the +1 level of arcane spellcasting to Warlock. On the skills side, Kasia has all her primary skills maxed, and UMD has 18 ranks, which is enough to guarantee casting of minimum CL 9th level spell scrolls without adding any CHA or UMD boosts save for Eagle’s splendor, which she can cast 6 times a day if necessary.

Spoiler: Sources
Show

Tome of Magic (ToM) – Dark Creature (p161)
Dragon Compendium (DrC) – Battle Dancer (p26)
Races of Destiny (RoD) – Able Learner (p150)
Dungeon Master’s Guide 2 (DMG2) – Apprentice (Entertainer) (p176)
Complete Arcane (CAr) – Warlock (p5)
Planar Handbook (PlH) – Fatemaker (p50)
Lords of Madness (LoM) – Darkstalker (p179)
Champions of Ruin (CoR) – Craven (p17)
Races of the Wild (RotW) – Woodland Archer (p154)
Player’s Handbook 2 (PHBII) – Hunter’s Eye (p114)

Items not called out are either in the PHB or sub-items of higher level callouts (e.g. Warlock Invocations)