Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
So, I can't be entirely sure what Kathleen Keneddy or Rian Johnson really think about, it seems they do have an agenda to put more women into movies. Which I wholeheartedly agree with.
What I don't know is how much into "feminist" territory they want to go. "The force is female" can be a slogan "Take SW away from men!", or it can simply mean "Yay, we finally did it an have Jedi as well!". It's hard to tell. I think it rather leans in the latter, personally, but who knows?
You know I think people would be more charitable if every other new character wasn't a surly british brunette woman who happens to also have the moral authority. Which is kind of a distinct difference. In the original trilogy Han could be sardonic and was rough around the edges at first but most main characters were, to an extent at least, trusting people who weren't overly violent. As whiny as Anakin was he still wasn't immediately hostile in the way newer characters are. Rey and Jyn meanwhile basically leap to violence first and the story always emphasises that they're very good at it. When you most visible characters have an attitude problem and their films insist they are right to have a bad attitude, people won't be charitable regarding your attitude. Of course for all it matters Kathleen Kennedy could just be really into british people.

That, and there was never a ban on female jedi. Luke was a girl in early film drafts. Anakin and Luke were both men because of the specific relationship that the OT required them to have. Leia was implied to become a jedi after VI ended and the only reason she isn't is muh iconic character who can't actually develop. There were a large number of female jedi in the prequels. Hell, George added in more because he liked their specific designs and when he was bought out he was making an entire video game because he liked a female design from some comics that much. If you wanted to get technical if you compiled a list of the first half dozen or so force sensitives in the expanded universe, exactly half of them would be female and that ratio never really changed.

Celebrating there being a female jedi is like celebrating women being allowed to wear tube socks. If you want to celebrate you can, but it was never a thing that was banned to begin with.