Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSoul View Post
I've been preparing uses for Hit Dice other than Healing and the idea of getting rid of exhaustion is nice.

I prefer to make it so expending a Hit Die means rolling it, pretty much no matter what it's being rolled for. Based on that, I'd probably set a DC to removing the level of Exhaustion -- I'd math it over before playtesting it, but probably in the 5-10 range -- and if the value of the Hit Dice rolled (probably adding your Constitution Modifier, in which case the DC is higher) exceeds the Exhaustion DC they lose the level of Exhaustion. This has the nice little benefit of martial classes being a bit more likely to heal their Exhaustion with less resource expenditure, which appeals to me given (a) they could easily be dying more often, and (b) they tend to be the classes that would've trained themselves physically a bit more (not that Exhaustion is limited to that!).

[snip]
Here's what I'm currently aiming for:

Exhaustion
You can spend Hit Dice to cure levels of Exhaustion, regardless of the source. Level 1 costs 5 hit points, level 2 costs 10, level 3 costs 15, level 4 costs 20, level 5 costs 25 and level 6 costs 60. You can spend Hit Dice the moment you would gain Exhaustion, potentially staving off death. You have to buy off the highest level first.

For example, As a berserker barbarian, if you have 4 levels of Exhaustion, you have (5+10+15+20)=50 points to buy down. Spending 3 HD and rolling 3(d12+Con), say +4, you'd get, on average 35 points, and are able to buy off Level 4 (20 points, leaving 15) and Level 3 (15 points, leaving 0), and still have level 2 of Exhaustion.

Once you've used HD in this manner, you can't use them to reduce Exhaustion levels until you've taken a short or long rest.

Spell Slots
During a short rest, you can spend Hit Dice to create a pool of spell points. Each hit point rolled becomes a spell point, usable to regenerate expended spell slots. Unlike Sorcerers, you can't create more spell slots than you normally have for your class and level.

Once you've used HD in this manner, you can't use them to create spell slots until you've taken a long rest.

I like the rest of your ideas, just not sure how I'd incorporate them - probably as feats (I grant feats every odd level, so more feats = good)