Quote Originally Posted by Lycunadari View Post
Non-binary or genderqueer genders This is one of the first papers that comes up if you search for non binary gender on google scholar. There isn't that much research about it yet, but I can't believe you have actually looked if you haven't seen anything.
Here's another paper. Here's an article from a book. (A few pages are missing, but I don't think they are critical for understanding.) There are also a lot more papers that are not open source, but they do exist.
None of those answer my question. The first simply asserts that non-binary is a thing and that through self identification surveys people have identified themselves as nuetral or the other gender in the past. There is no cited studies on gender-fluidity that I could see.

The language link is broken on my end

The anthropology simply states that there are male and female sexes that are cis and there are male and female sexes that are not. They identify them as a third or fourth gender because they have preferences and or personality types outside the norm. None of this addresses my question of how gender is different from personality.

Also, this is a question for you: why do you need proof? Are you simply interested in this topic, just like you might be interested in, I dunno, developmental biology of fruit flies (that's a fascinating topic, btw)? Or are you looking for a reason why you should respect our self-identification (or a reason to not respect it without getting called rude)?
A mix of all three if I'm being completely honest. I believe in personal freedoms for all, right up until they infringe on the rights of another person. I can't go into more detail without breaking forum rules.

I'm a believer that there are certain aspects of peoples personalities that are determined by genetics, and there are general patterns of behavior. Stereotypes exist for a reason and can be useful tools for dealing with people you do not personally know. Obviously this changes when you get to know a person, because few people are a walking stereotype.

Finally, and I probably should have lead with this. Your perception of reality and mine do not match up, so I wish to learn more about your perceptions so that I can figure out were we are the same and use that to further both of our understanding.

The number is not serious. Due to the flexible, personal nature of gender, it isn't possible to determine the exact number of genders that exist.
Given my perception of (probably earned) hostility from that poster, I really wasn't expecting a joke. It went over my head. Sorry.