Quote Originally Posted by Lord Joeltion View Post
I personally liked the Thanos vs Steve stand-off scene, as ludicrous as it may look for comics fans.
I love that it looks ludicrous to Thanos too. Look at his face, he's all "I don't get it. Why aren't you squished yet?"

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
When the heroes all out fight Thanos in the comics (after he cuts himself off from the omniscience of having all the gems and gives the heroes something like a 0.5% chance of winning) I'm pretty sure Cap is last man standing (however briefly).
https://welshyfilms.files.wordpress....rica.jpg?w=640

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
Because arrows and bugs are totally going to help out against a galactic conqueror.

Let's be honest, they're fun, but they're B-listers. Besides, Ant-Man is getting a sequel; he doesn't need the extra hassle of fighting purple giants.
Hawkeye has far more substantial showings than a lot of these characters. Hawkeye has demonstrated proficiency in contributing to the defeat of alien invasions before and practically shot the hellicarrier out of the sky. Avengers and Age of Ultron both treat him like a core member of the team. Dropping him for Wong and Mantis feels like a disservice to the previous Avengers films.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post

As for Ant-Man snarking with Tony and Peter, you do see how that becomes a bit... hm... excessive, after a point? I mean, you've got Tony Snark, Peter Zero Chill, Doctor Sarcasm, Puppy Parker, and at a certain point you have more quips than actual dialogue.
I actually think it would be totally in line with what all these Marvel movies have been to have one scene of Tony, Quill, Parker, Strange, Lang, and Rocket all mouthing off simultaneously until like Gamora or Banner or somebody reminds them what's at stake and that they're being idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
The thing that grabs me most at the end of the trailer isn't the ever present quipping or action shots, or the look who gets to meet who. Those are all fun sure.

No, it's that very brief cut of a (probably) young Gamora holding hands with her father. Guardians has always been about dysfunctional families and their love, abuse, isolation.

With Thanos as our headliner for this, undergirding his pseudophilosophical balancing of life and death nonsense through magic rocks with a real theme about his relationship with his children might give a touch of humanity to this shameless popcorn fest. Not that there's anything wrong with pure popcorn.
I agree with almost all of this. Many of the phase 2 and 3 movies have had something to say about something on top of being action spectacles. Like you say, GotG is about dysfunctional family relationships. Plus Black Panther is about marginalized people, Ragnarok is about legacy, Civil War is about justice, Winter Soldier is about freedom, etc. I think the Russos have been a big part of that and I trust that they'll do a good job with this.

I also love that we'll apparently be getting a history and a story for Thanos. We know all the heroes, so it's great to get to know the villain.

And my one disagreement is that I am more enthused about all the different character interactions. I do know and love all these heroes and I do want to see what happens when they all meet each other.