View Single Post

Thread: Nuclear Fusion

1. - Top - End - #55
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Nuclear Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't trust you, because this makes no sense to me. Please present evidence of this. What I have found disagrees with you, certainly, with clear peaks and valleys matching day and night.
    Quote Originally Posted by monomer View Post
    I think you are vastly underestimating the difference in daytime draw vs nighttime. To go to your Arizona example, I chose a random week from last July, and according to the Energy Information Administration, daytime peak demand in Arizona hit about 6-7 GWHrs and nighttime demand went down to 3.5 GWhrs. You are also forgetting that people aren't cooking, cleaning, or doing laundry during the middle of the night, and this all adds up. Additionally, most businesses aren't running at night which is a huge power-draw.
    How much do you think those numbers will change when everyone has an electric car, and colder places switch to electric heat pumps rather than fossil fuel boilers for winter heating? People won't be happy if their car doesn't charge overnight because it wasn't windy.

From that website, the peak demand in winter is at 07:00 and 19:00. I'm not sure what the sunlight hours are there, but where I am you'd be getting nothing much from solar at 07:00, and nothing at all at 19:00.
    Last edited by Excession; 2018-03-19 at 03:31 PM.