View Single Post

Thread: Red Dwarf Sun

1. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Red Dwarf Sun

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    An alternative way of changing the apparent colour of the sky and star - give the planet's atmosphere lots of particles. If the atmosphere is semi-permanently full of dust - the star may look orange or even red, at almost all times.
    I was thinking of that too. But I also like the effect of having the sun look bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    An Orange Type K Star of middling Temperature would hve around 4400-4500 Kelvin Surface Temperature compared to the around 5800 of our sun, be around 80% its size and 70% its mass, and around 20% of its luminosity.

So assuming everything else is similar, its habitable Zone Ideal Point would be around 0.55 AU, with a year shortened accordingly (assuming its path is not more elliptic than our suns). So the year would be roughly 55 % of our year, ergo 200 days.
    With some work I got Universe Sandbox 2 working. For a star with a mass of 0.8 Suns and a surface temperature on Earth of 15°C, it gave me an orbital period of 163 days. Indeed at 0.542 AU orbital radius. Giving an apparent size that is 1.38 times that of the Sun. Which if I recall correctly is a bit lower than twice the area.
    Last edited by Yora; 2018-03-30 at 12:27 PM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying