Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
Quick question: I've got a few Dark Heresy 1st books and a bunch of PDF (got most of DH cheap on a Bundle of Holding deal a while ago), I don't have anything from DH 2nd and heard that it's all running out of print because there's a new 40K game around the corner coming from Ulisses which I don't know much about yet. I got a few friends who like the 40K background and would like to give a campaign there a shot, and I really like the look of Dark Heresy on the game world. Sooooo any of you with more experience with DH 2nd and maybe know more about the new game coming out, which is the best way to go here?

a) Stick to DH1, I already got that stuff after all
b) Get my hands on some DH2 pdfs (is it a big improvement on 1st?)
c) Wait for the new game (it's not like we're in a hurry to get the new campaign running, will take a couple months at the very least so if it's coming out this year that's an option as well)
The two editions are swings and roundabouts, really. I like some of the stuff 2e does better than 1e, but I also like some of the things 1e does better than 2e. Broadly speaking, characters are less competent in 1e - that is, they're less likely to succeed at basic tasks - and the feel is much more one of a hostile universe waiting to kill the unwary. 2e is a bit more heroic (though the universe will still totally eat you if you're stupid), and the characters are somewhat more combat capable and better rounded. Plus I really, really like the freedom of the aptitude system in 2e instead of the advance tables that 1e had for the freedom they give in making your character what you want it to be - but it does make spending experience a bit of a nuisance sometimes, especially if you're new to the system.

I don't think 1e and 2e will be going out of print any time soon - not as long as Ulisses has the rights to them and are making money off them.

I don't know much about the new 40k line, though, I'm afraid, so can't help you save to say it's a very different mechanical base. They've dropped the percentile system, in favour of... I think a d6 dice pool system? I forget. I sort of decided I wasn't that interested at that point since I really like the d100 system, though I'll probably check it out when it comes out just in case I really do like it.