View Single Post

Thread: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

1. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    You tell a story of the first seasons being good for their simplicity but then things get complicated.

Its not a complicated analysis. The first seasons were relatively simple narratively. Things start getting more complicated with season 3. Four and Five split the narratives. If you find it slower and more difficult to follow its not surprising.
    I'm not so sure about that. I'll be the first to admit that I don't follow stories extremely well and I'm a little slow-witted, so I'll be up front and say that there is a good chance that I got less enjoyment out of Seasons 4 and 5 just because I didn't try hard enough to understand them. But questions about the villains' leadership that never felt properly addressed started to pile up Like how does Raven keep the loyalty of someone like Vernal despite being the sort of person that allows her underlings to die as soon as they're no longer useful? Not only that, why was Vernal willing to act as a decoy? For that matter, how did Adam keep the White Fang as loyal to him as long as he did? When he seized power, did anyone say, "Hold on, are we just helping the boss get back at his ex? This is ridiculous! I never signed up for this!"

Then there's the whole White Fang chestnut. Beyond what's already been said, by the end of Season 5 I found myself wondering even more questions. Like is the White Fang the only Faunus rights advocacy group? Are there others that are less sketchy? Are there no human Faunus rights advocates? If not, why not?

I meant to explain early 2000's anime dub style and how you identify RWBY with that particular style.
    Oh, sorry. I mean that the voice acting really does sound like an anime dub that Media Blasters, Manga Entertainment or a similar localization company might have done from that period. Not a parody, but actually pretty close to the actual thing. Anime dubs from the early 2000s had a pretty bombastic and overwrought style that's difficult to decribe but a lot of my friends found off-putting. these were usually the dubs that you had to put the Japanese audio with English subtitles on if you wanted anyone to watch it with you. To me, RWBY sounds like this and I've been wondering how deliberate it was since Season 1. If it really was 100% on purpose, then it's amazingly faithful and that's really interesting.
    I imagine the Fury was referring to certain tendency towards inflection, emotional expression, use of certain word or phrases, pacing etc.
    Yeah, that's pretty close to what I meant.
    Last edited by The Fury; 2018-04-19 at 11:33 PM.