View Single Post

Thread: Steven UnIVerse: 4shadowing

1. - Top - End - #1114
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Steven UnIVerse: 4shadowing

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Or Steven is misinterpreting Bismuth's statement. Bismuth makes one statement of intent (fair fight), one statement of capability (one-strike cut), and one statement (destroy body but not gem) that could go either way.
    I think the rule of conservation of detail implies that it's an actual property of the sword.

Also, as I mentioned above, they specifically highlighted that contradiction in one of the recent promos, so I think it's pretty clearly deliberate and something we're supposed to be thinking about. "Oh, I didn't mean literally seems like a pretty silly resolution to that. Like... Bismuth stating that Rose's sword was designed to never shatter gems was a pretty dramatic moment, and then they went out of their way to establish that PD was shattered by a sword.

I mean, there's a lot of possibilities, but I think the vast majority of the evidence at the moment suggests that it was actually Pearl who shattered PD. Notice that she's always the one who freaks out when the topic comes up; and immediately after Steven returned to earth (when he was upset over Connie), it looked a lot like she was about to confess something along those lines before Steven interrupted her.

It also fits into what we know about Pearl and Rose's characters. Rose opposed shattering gems; Pearl was fanatically loyal to Rose but didn't always understand her. It makes sense to me that Pearl would do that, thinking that it's what Rose wanted.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2018-04-21 at 12:40 AM.